Various XP Problems:

Hi every1, I've had XP Pro (build 2600) installed for about 3 weeks now. (I have an AMD Athlon 1800 XP, 512RAM, 40GB hard drive) At first I was extremely happy with it but things gradually started going down hill, fortunately thanks to the forum most of my problems are gone but I still need some answers to a few nagging things I'm still encountering.

1) About a week ago, I had a message saying that the mouse pointer theme I was using was either corrupt or missing. I went to Appearance/Themes in Control Panel and discovered all the themes for the Mouse were gone, I installed loads of updates except for SP1 and the themes have returned, BUT - if I try to change to any of them, I'm told they're missing or corrupt! Is there a way I can reinstall them from my WinXP disc back into the WINNT\Cursors directory?

2) I've had the dreaded "Beginning Physical Dump of Memory" message three times since installation of XP, here is the info from the error message:

STOP: C0000218 REGISTRY FILE FAILURE. THE REGISTRY CANNOT LOAD THE HIVE [FILE]\SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE OR ITS LOG OR ALTERNATE

CORRUPT, ABSENT OR NOT WRITABLE

BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

When the percentage has reached 100, it asks how I would like to boot XP.... Normal, Safe Mode etc....

I've not had the error for the past few days but, I've noticed that in my WINNT directory there is a file that is 511MB called MEMORY.DMP - is it safe to delete this file?

3) XP takes over a minute to RESTART which is frustrating - I'm sure it can be sped up somehow - does anyone know how?

4) Finally, is it possible to remove items that remain in the ADD/REMOVE Programs list that have already been uninstalled but are still showing up in the list?

Thanks to everyone who may be able to offer some help;)

Try hitting F1 (click mouse on the desktop first), then System Restore. Your registry is corrupt, and this will allow you to restore from a previous (before the problem started) good copy.

You can also open a cmd window and run scandisk c: /f - answer Yes to check on reboot, then reboot to try to correct disk errors.

You can delete safely the big file about dump memory.

You can also look at this pages:

h**p://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

h**p://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

h**p://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

and you can find a lot of useful stuffs.

I hope this help you to solve yours problems.

:cool: