?Using a CD-RW to backup

mick.j

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I would like to use a CD-RW as current running back up disk.

Whilst I can write to a new CD-RW disk it always changes its attributes from write to read only. I have checked that the program is recognising the writer and disk media. The returned information identifies both the writer and media accurately.
This happens with work undertaken in Lotus, Microsoft and Serif.

When my operating system was Win 98 (many years ago) I had no problems using Roxio software. It was great, worked very well, interface easy to use, did what it was asked and what one was expecting it too - unlike Nero which seemed (and still does from my recent experience of it i.e. 2 weeks ago) to have a mind of its own and do its own thing.

I then converted to Win XP Professional and even after a clean install with the latest drivers I could not get Roxio to work.
I tried Nero and just could not get on with it, so I gave up, until last month when I replaced my whole system.

I have a Liteon DVD +/- RW
Windows XP Professional

I have tried Roxio 6 DVD and CD builder which works well with Roxio drag to disk - but this means I have to use the drag to disk facility instead of 'save as' facility.

I have tried Nero 6 but that always returns a read only notice. I still do not like Nero's interface.

I never save in read only mode. Because I use both a desk top and lap top connected together by wireless technology. All my settings are set to allow others to 'share this folder on the network' and 'allow network users to change my files'.

For photos and video editing I have installed Pinnacle Studio 9 including its DVD burning software. I have not had opportunity to try this out yet.

The only other DVD software installed is DVD shrink and DVD copy platinum

When not at home I use my lap top which has a DVD & CD writer with its own software but I can only save to disk if I install Roxio and use the drag to disk facility.

Has any one any ideas, or is there another programme that will do what I would like - to be able to update work on a CD-RW by using 'save as' with out changing its attributes to read only and has universal acceptance, i.e. providing a computer has CD writing and appropriate software it will be able to write to disk using 'save as' facility again with out changing its attributes to read only.

Regards
mick.j

Sounds like you may need to use Packet writing.
The matching one for Nero is InCD.

The problem with UDF packet format, is that it combines a risky writing method and an inherently unstable medium.
It spreads the data across the CD-RW, to avoid over use of some blocks (limited rewrite capability), but the way it works means that it only takes a small problem and then - "all the king's horses and all the king's men, can't put your data together again!".

Blame Windows - it presents files on CD as read only, where some other operating systems are able to present the files with attributes unchanged, on a write-protected medium or drive.

Only other option, is to keep changing the attributes when you bring the files back from CD, or to zip and unzip them, as anything within a zip file is not converted to read only ... the zip file is.

mick.j

Thank you for your help and explanation.

Windows has a mind of its own - called Bill Gates - everyone has to think and work to his tune.

Regards
Mick :)