upgrade

Guys
I've been cosidering upgrading my pc & am not sure whats the best stuff to buy, so I thought I would ask the experts . So here goes. win98se
I have a intelp111 550 chip 15gig hdrive 384mb ram .
I would like a p4 , so which 1 would you recomend???
So will need a new motherboard, againg suggestions on which 1
i also would like to increase harddisk, so please advise on which

I am also considering a duel boot with 2000 pro & me
Is this a good move, or would a diff setup be better .

Ps if you know of some good cheap sites to buy all this stuff, I would be very grateful

M

Master

Thats difficult.

for the dualboot i would go for WIN98SE and WinXP pro.
If you like to go with win2000/xp then be aware ot the combo highpoint controller and ibm harddisk.
You can (not a must) get some trouble with it.

If you go P4 the best two options are DDram or Rdram.The downside to Rdram is that it is costly,but it is the fastest solution for P4.It also uses an older 850 chipset.Newest is the 845,used with Ddram.

Also be advised the 423 pin P4 chip is obsolete now,go for the 478 current chip.

The DDram boards are the most common(avoid Sdram boards).I would always choose an Asus board.

Hard drive,I would go Maxtor 7200 rpm ATA100,there are other choices of course.

I would use Xp with the P4,(just my opinion).;)

I agree with 98SE and Win Xp.(win98 must be installed first BTW).

Maxtor now do a ata133 hard drive as well.graphics card depends what use games,video capture or both.If going for p4 u have to consider cooling as well.

JonJon,the final decision is yours.If your motherboard can accept a faster processor chip,that is the cheapest.

If you want a P4 get one with Ddram.Just my opinion.;)

If money isn't to much of a problem go for the p4 or what about AMD Athlon xp+ .I have one very quick and a lot cheaper than p4.

Yep...just to confuse you more the AMD Athlon XP is selling better than the P4.It outperforms the P4 in most testing.;) Don't know much about it though because I am a Pentium diehard.:)

Re: Upgrade

It will definately be cheaper to buy a faster Pentium 3 processor than buying a Pentium 4, because upgrading to Pentium 4 requires too many decisions to be made and will ultimately depend on how much you got to spend.

But I don't know what motherborad/chipset you use. If you are using a socket 370 (FC-PGA) motherboard you probably can use a Pentium 1GHz, max.

I doubt your existing motherboard supports the Pentium 3 with the new core, that uses a lower voltage than the older ones, in other words i don't think you can use the Pentium 3 1.1Ghz or higher.

You'll have to check you motherboard manual to check if you can even use the Pentium 3 Ghz.

If you buy a pentium 4 - you definatley need a new motherboard.
Maybe new memory, unless you buy a motherboard that requires DDR, you old memory will be useless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Warning - I can be long winded - but i hope it helps. :)
(?? Why is HTML - OFF ??)

*Operating Systems* - I advise not to use WinMe - its bug heaven. Even with Service Packs - its still crap. If you intend to use Win2K Pro (for whatever reason) then u should dual boot it with Win98SE. But If you decide to use WinXP then there isnt any point dual booting with Win98SE. WinXP will run all software that require Win95/98 using the compatibility mode. If you do move to WinXP - its best to make sure that all your other hardware devices have XP support drivers, likewise with Win2K.

I'm UK based so unless you are too - I can't offer any websites that would give good deals on hardware. But If you are unsure of things and need to read up on certain things, w*w.tomshardware.com and w*w.sharkyextreme.com are good sources of information with hardware reviews.

*Processors* - Unless you're like Woody - Die Hard Pentium Fan. I would advise checking out the AMD Athlon XP. It is definately worth more your buck than the P4. And Yes the Athlon does out perform the Pentium is certain areas, the same is true reversed though.

P4 2200 Vs Athlon XP 2000
h**p://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020107/index.html

If you intend to overclock, you will need to buy a better cpu fan, otherwise the manufacturer supplied fan is more than adequate.

Athlon Vs P4 o/c'ed - bloody insane P4 @ 3000 :eek:
h**p://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020128/index.html

As for *motherboards*. I'm not sure how many other manufacturers have motherborads that support UDMA133. I know MSI certainly have UDMA133 support on both Athlon XP and Pentium 4 boards. But there will be more sooner or later. (BTW UDMA100/133 is also referred to as ATA100/133)

If you decide to keep your existing memory modules (assuming they are SDRAM) Intel has i845 motherboards that support the slower SDRAM memory. I *THINK* there may be some motherborads that support 2 different types of memory (well there used to be with older chipsets) - so it might be worth checking them out (if there are any) just for future upgradability sake.

Check the link for P4 motherborad reviews h**p://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020130/index.html

Even though this is a review on VIA vs Nvidia Chipset - It does look at some Athlon XP boards.
h**p://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/index.html

*Harddrives* - Personally i prefer IBM, but western digital have drives with 100Gb & 120Gb and *8 Mb Buffer*. :eek: A word of warning though if you buy a new harddrive, unless the older 15Gb drive uses the same UDMA mode as the new drive i wouldnt put them both on the same IDE channel/cable. If you do the harddrive using the slower UDMA mode will slow down the data transfer for the supposedly faster harddrive.

It might also be wise to buy harddrive coolers.

Last edited: