Uncomplicated Digital Camera ?

Hello Folks,

I was planning on giving my wife (and me) a Digital Camera for Christmas. I am a novice in this area. I am looking for a reliable and reasonably priced Digital Camera. The main concern is that the Digital Camera has to be easy/simple and uncomplicated to use. The more simpler the better. I was hoping some knowable folks would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Coaster

A friend has the FinePix 4700 - a really neat feature is the "porthole" LCD which labels the ring of multifunction buttons and gives other feedback without resorting to the power-hungry colour LCD display.

I have a Kodak (not by choice - it was the "Kodak moment" error, so it was CHEAP)
Not a bad camera for easy point and shoot, but the DX3700 lacks features such as self timer! (no kidding!!!)

Plus points to look for are:
1. Optical zoom - preferably 2x or 3x - or better
2. Resolution - more pixels = bigger viewable/printable sizes at respectable quality - or more scope for cropping in postprocessing or use of DIGITAL zoom.
3. Autofocus - while a fixed focus can produce acceptable results, auto is better
4. Close-up/macro modes - preferable variable. Some fixed focus cameras have a single "close up" setting that is never the right distance for what you want!
5. Video clip mode (on some, with sound)

DIGITAL zoom does one of two things:
1. Crops the centre of the picture (using less storage)
2. Magnifies the centre (bigger, but no more quality)
Either of those can also be done in postprocessing, probably with software you get with the camera.

More features, though, goes against your "EASY" requirement - you could try out a very cheap "3 in 1" that acts as a webcam, video clip cam, and rather low resolution digital camera, and then keep that as a webcam and then get a better model for real use.

Last edited:
depending on price i just got a KONICA REVIO KD100 from argos im in the uk btw! i dunno where u are coaster mate :) for £99 well £95 they gave me a £5 voucher back its a xmas present so have not used it yet but asked in a camera shop and they said it was a good buy for a beginner! , it has FLASH and a BACK display for picture editing :D and has tv output so u can view snaps as a slideshow on the tv :) and uses just 1 double AA battery (included) along with software and usb lead, have a look this as a consideration for a cheap one with flash and screen as cheaper ones dont have either :(

if you buy online its about £88 :)

heres a picture :)

I spose it depends on budget really !? :)

i use a cannon s40, its superb but maybe a little pricey, however they do an a40 thats still pretty good (less pixels) it still has all the grown up fetures including a 3.5x optical (7x digital) pictures up to 1600x1200 and movies (with sound) at 320x240 (in avi format), it has usb connection (although tbh its better to use a compact flash reader just to copy the pics to your pc) it happily works with cf cards upto 512mb and its run any speed flashcard i've tried without problems however it wont work with 1gb microdrives.

Even the the a40 includes things like photo stitching (for panoramic shots), macro, self timer ;) although it doesnt come with a carry case (and the sticker is a BITCH to remove cleanly:() it is VERY good with batteries taking LOADS of pics (with flash and redeye reduction) on one set.

if you have a mobile phone like a 9210 or 7650 or internet access through your pda you might want to look at the very cheap (point and click, no frills at all) concorde eyeQ as it has an infrared port to send images to your phone / pda to email on to other people (and offers better pictures than the crap camera in the 7650) (res is 640x480 onto mmc cards)

I bought a Fuji Film Finepix 2650 Zoom 2.0 Megapixel Digital Camera 3X optical zoom I am happy with it simplepoint and shoot.

$161.85
hxxp://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/main_item.asp?id=964586040

Just bought Sweetie-pie a Fuji a201 from compgeeks.com where it's $129.00 plus shipping.

I did this because I'd already purchased a smartcard to go with a camera I'd bought for her from outpost.com. They cancelled my order for the Olympus camera -- as it must have sold out after they verified my order -- but shipped the smartmedia card anyway -- B@STARDS!

Which is just to say that if I hadn't already invested in the smartmedia card, I would have gotten her the new version of the fuji A201 -- the Fuji A200a --- from dell small business. The total showed as $127 after discounts, shipped. There's 10% off cameras at dell small biz, plus another 5% off coupon floating around and free shipping (but they add tax).

Both the Fuji A201 and the A200a are 2 megapixel, easy point-and-shoots.

Sony DSC-P?? - 3.3 MegaPixels - 2048x1536 image Size (JPEG or uncompressed TIFF)- MPEG1 Movie (with Sound) (320 HQ, 320x240, 160x112) - Animation Clip - Effects (White Balance, Date/Time,Solarize,B&W,Sepia,Neg.art....) - 3X zoom or 6X Digital zoom - USB - Memory stick - InfoLITHIUM ..............
But many €€€€€€€€ or $$$$$$$

Last edited:
For most digital cameras that take AA size, NiMH will be the battery of choice.

Alkalines are sometimes supplied, but the brute-force current drain has them surrendering to voltage drop very quickly - especially with LCD and flash in use.
If you MUST use alkalines in an emergency, use "high drain" versions, kepp the LCD off, and rest them before they give out!

Forget rechargeable alkalines - they perform worse than ordinary ones - if your camera supports them, Lithium AA are a useful long-life standby, without the the self discharge problems of NiMH (and for those, a fully smart charger will save frayed nerves, frayed tempers, and ruined batteries - you cannot satisfactorily "top off" a set in indeterminate charge state, using a timed charger).

Personally, I would avoid cameras that use anything other than AA size - unless you enjoy being held to ransom on battery and standalone charger prices.

Thanks

Hello Folks,

Thanks to all that responded to my inquiry.

After viewing links provided I decided on a purchasing a FujiFilm FinePix 2650.

Regards,
Coaster