unable to open image file!!!

a friend of mine has scanned hundreds of pics into his machine usine scansoft software called paperport. can anyone recommend a good freeware converter i.e to jpeg please..
if not freeware then retail will do he will have to part with his cash for a change......thanx

the format they have been scanned to is .max....:D

xSlyPandax

http://www.geocities.com/izenkov/download.htm

I havn't tested this myself but it sounds good?

MAX Image Converter 1.0
Description Utility for converting images from one image format to another. This program (16bit) was written long time ago for a production process of 'MAX' - CD-ROM addition to 'Computer Reseller News' (CRN) magazine. This program can also read and write 'max' image format I created for this publication. 'MAX' CD-ROM has been replaced by Internet portal ChannelWEB in 1997. Today program has no commercial value and I do not think I have a source code anymore. I am still using it time to time.

Created ??? ??, 1995
Last update May 23, 1996
OS Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000
Limitations 1.GIF support is disabled (UNISYS permission requires).
2.Can not read some of the newest JPG formats.
3.Does not support long file names.
4.Does not run under Windows XP.
5.May-be some bugs, but it was used in-house and has not been polished to be an 'of the shelf' product.

Details This utility program will export from and create 'max' image format files as well as convert various image files from one format to another. It contains an additional utility 'MAX Image Viewer' to view different image files, including 'max' image files.
Next file types are supported:

Adobe Photoshop (*.psd)
JPEG (*.jpg)
Lead CMP (*.cmp)
Multi Image MAX (*.max)
Portable PNG (*.png)
TIFF (*.tif)
Windows Bitmap (*.bmp)
Windows Meta File (*.wmf)
ZSoft PCX(*.pcx)

Usage Run Convert.exe, select files you want to convert, select destination you want to convert files to and click 'Convert' button. Hopefully you will get what you want ;-)

Install To install unzip zip file to any folder on your hard drive. To uninstall delete unzipped during install files, Convert.ini and that is it. Utility does not create any registry entries.

History ??? ??, 1995 - first release
May 23, 1996 - last build
May 20, 2002 - public release

Hope this helps!

Sly

thanx for your help bud but unfortunatly im xp:mad: still never mind il keep searching if not me old mate will have to rescan them all...........:D

http://www.nuance.com/paperport/viewers/ - not sure if it can save?

Looks like the only way to convert with this is to print them to a "paperless printer" driver that captures the result to a file.

It appears that Paperport itself can be used to re-open them and save in a more useful format - probably a better alternative to rescanning.

nosher said:
thanx for your help bud but unfortunatly im xp:mad: still never mind il keep searching if not me old mate will have to rescan them all...........:D

does it not run in compatibility mode !?

you could try IFRANVIEW freeware viewer here :)

it handles most if not all image formats etc :)

Ifranview

trried IFRANVIEW viper and that wouldnt rescognise the image either...but thanx for your time.As i said before he will have to rescan them all again using a different software.

xSlyPandax

I wouldve thought it wouldve worked automatically in Xp even though its a 95 program... oh well im probably wrong lol.

Sly