Ubuntu To Nubuntu

danmartin

Banned
Hello, I am a new member to these Forums and a Nubuntu convert wannabe! I am a CPU Information Tech Student (Baccalaureate Program) in MI and I am very interested in IT security/Pen-Testing/Network Security ETC...I am leaning towards completing as a Development Major but Infrastructure Spe******t is not ruled out yet...either way...Security is the way of the future and this is a very interesting OS and Toolset. I am currently using Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake and not wanting to upgrade from there yet...I am wondering-are there Kernel differences between Nubuntu and my Distro or could I customize my Ubuntu into something closely resemblimg (In Function and Feel) Nubuntu? As a newbie to Linux I am scared of Upgrading/Changing much because I have a Spanking Newly built (Still smels like factory fresh electronics when it's running!) upper echelon Gaming Rig with DDR3 Ram and an Intel X48 based Mobo...everything in this baby is newest of the new including a sata II HD (WD 500gb) and a Sata DVD/R, CD/R/RW, +DVD/RW= DvD/Ram optical drive which I am having trouble with 'cos I cannot install Xp on and an MSI Gpu (NVidea 8400 GS) that is the reason that I couldn't install Hardy...so How is Nubuntu as far as Driver support and Installation (Is it Graphical or Text Mode Install?) and is there a way that I could convert my Dapper into an Nubuntu like (Or a Nubuntu) Sys without losing my lucky OS? I would prefer to leave my default Ubuntu intact becuase this is what I am learning on and getting used to and to start over with a new OS would suck especially when I am just beginning to get the hang of this...so some kind of Integration would be really nice....anyone have any advice?