Trying to create a VCD file..pls help !!

joe14580

Hey guys,

Ok. I'm a noob (this IS my first post) :rolleyes: , not a computer noob, but a video-noob fer sure ;) .But I HAVE been reading the tutorials and trying to figure things out myself, and reading threads, but frankly I'm stuck :confused: . I admit to being a video-idiot :( .

I'll try to keep my questions simple and to the point :cool: .

The specs: I have a NEC 3500A burner (dual-layer jobbie), using 700 mb/80 min blank cd-r's, a Toshiba player that plays VCD's and DVD's, and am running Win2K.

Problem # 1: I have a 716 MB avi file I want to burn as a VCD file and watch on my tv with the toshiba dvd/vcd player.

I try to burn the vcd using Roxio creator version 7 to burn it and it reports the file needs 830 mb on the cd-r
(or so) after i've edited the beginning and ending credits out of it.

My noob question is: does starting out at 716 mb avi file
(now presumably smaller as I've edited the credits out of it) , and ending up at 830mb vcd file sound right ?

Are there proggies out there that can "right-size" the burn to the 700 mb disc ?

Are there larger CD's available (e.g. 800 mb) and if so what is manufacturers name ? Does newegg stock them ?

Should I try to "overburn" to the CD-R ?

Or is there a way I can squish the file a bit with a proggie b 4 burning ?

And oh, yes, I did try to burn it as a DVD. Used TMPGEnc to convert it to DVD compliant MPEG file. That resulted in a 1.46G mpg file. Tried to burn it to a single layer dvd-r disk (4.6 gb capacity :eek: ) and it said the file was too big for the dvd disk :confused: ?

So same questions apply as above :( .

Or do I have to split these files into two parts are burn two vcd's and two dvd's.

Thanks so much for your patience :) . It's not easy being a noob, but hopefully with a few good wacks to the head from you guys I won't be much longer :eek: . I want to do a vulcan mind meld with chickenman and suck his brain dry. Would that be asking too much ? :D .

Last edited:
joe14580 said:
My noob question is: does starting out at 716 mb avi file
(now presumably smaller as I've edited the credits out of it) , and ending up at 830mb vcd file sound right?
this is the way to go: http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=161

And oh, yes, I did try to burn it as a DVD. Used TMPGEnc to convert it to DVD compliant MPEG file. That resulted in a 1.46G mpg file. Tried to burn it to a single layer dvd-r disk (4.6 gb capacity :eek: ) and it said the file was too big for the dvd disk :confused: ?
this confuses me too; What software did you use for burning? Maybe the software tried to recode/transcode again?

Greetings from
Duracell

joe14580

Thanks very much for the linky (I saved it as a file) :) , I'll give it a thorough read and report back my results from newbie-central :D

I tries so many things :( , but as I recall I used Roxio creator Version 7 to try to burn the mpeg to a dvd-r disc. I tried to use Nero 6 but I didn't have the mpeg codec thingy as I recall, so it wouldn't attempt the burn.

But I'll give it another go and I'll pay close attention to the settings within roxio. At the very least I think you've verified that a 1.46 GB mpg file "ought" to fit on a single layer dvd -r disc.

By the way is that (my nero problem) because I'm in the U.S. and my "area" is set a certain way in the firmware ? Am I to understand that you can flash the firmware on these NEC 3500a's so they'll work in any "area". Sorry if my terminology (e.g. area) is wrong, I'm such a noob. Anyway, if there is a link to some firmware I "should" be installing for maximum "flexibility", and does someone have that link ?

Well, your reply is a start ;) !! Thanks. Be back soon.........

Last edited:
joe14580 said:
At the very least I think you've verified that a 1.46 GB mpg file "ought" to fit on a single layer dvd -r disc.
yes, should fit;

Am I to understand that you can flash the firmware on these NEC 3500a's so they'll work in any "area". Sorry if my terminology (e.g. area) is wrong, I'm such a noob.
the proper terminus is "region free" or "patched firmware"; i don't know if such thing exists for Sony drives;
but have a look at this rubric: http://www.dvdrbase.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114

Duracell said:
i don't know if such thing exists for Sony drives;
It didn't until very recently, when the Dangerous Brothers issued RPC-1's for a wide range of Sony burners.
However, the one above is a NEC 3500A which does have an RPC-1 firmware (still by the same duo), but labelled as "beta"- so it should be used with great caution.

joe14580

Correct, it IS a NEC 3500A.

Has anyone installed that beta firmware and was it ok ? Or do you guys find it best to wait until it is out of beta :confused: ?

Thanks.