Trouble with registration of WinDriver Ghost

Installed WinDriver Ghost Ent 2.0 and failed to notice the name provided with the SN. Typed my name and the SN. The proggie shows the registration did not take and I have a 15 day trial period.

I removed with my handy remove it software and reinstalled with the name provided. It did no good, still showed my name and 15 day trial.

Checked for the proggie in the registry and failed to find anything.

I finally restored any image of my C drive and my F drive (where I had installed the proggie). I reinstalled the proggie with the name provided and SN and it still shows 15 day trial. on the opening screen of WinDriver it shows the name of my pc and my name. I suppose it means it is registered in my name.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? I am all excited about this new proggie, sounds great.

Will appreciate any suggestions.

Toots

try WinDriver Expert v1.80...it is from same author and free...they like exact same...

u can d/l from w*w.majorgeeks.com

RE

Thanks for the info, will try the older version. Hope it will do all of the things 2.0 will.

I really would love to know how they could hide the registration when I restored a ghost image of the C and F drives. Where in the world would the info be? The images, of course, were made before I installed the software. What a mystery!

Toots

I guess ther author makes WinDriver Ghost as shareware and WInDriver Expert as freeware...the v1.80 is the latest for WinDriver Expert...

This one works for me
WinDriver Ghost 2.00 Enterprise Edition
dl it from: /http://www.devarchive.com/download.php?programid=594

WinDriver Ghost provides easy and fast detection, backup and restore
of the entire hardware device drivers currently on your system. With
it, you can even find the latest drivers for your hardware and install
them onto your computer. Just one or two mouse button clicks, you will
have all your hardware devices extracted and backuped to any folder
you want. When you reinstall or upgrade your system, you can restore
them by clicking a button, after reboot once, all the drivers will be
installed and will function well. Also you may choose to backup a
certain driver or the entire drivers to an EXE automatic installer. If
you have a hardware that is troublesome, just remove it with the
software. Network backup and restore are supported.

Use this data for registration:
Name: TSRh TEAM
Serial: WDW202231-54535268205445414D

RE

svgusta, apparently I failed to make my problem easy to understand. I used the same info as you. However, I overlooked the name: TSRh TEAM and used my own name and the same serial number as you. It does not show the proggie as registered, it has 14 days trial to go. I removed the proggie with Remove-It (which has logged it on installation) and checked the registry for the registration data. I could find none. I reinstalled and placed the same info as you as got the same results. So, I then overlayed Ghost image of my C: drive and F Drive. These images were made about a week ago. I reinstalled the proggie again and used the registration info. Got the same results.

So, I need to know where to look on my hard drive for the invalid info. It is not the C: or F: partition.

Hope someone can help me.

BTW, got the version 1.80 and it will not go out any get your driver updates like v2.0 will.

Thanks

Toots

Here is something strange.
I uninstalled the program. And tried to trace when I reinstalled. With Total Uninstall I saw which reg settings the program removed. When I installed again, I did not need to insert serial.
When I search in registry I found theese strange settings. Not Where I supposed to find them...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IPSec]
"RISCx86"="02.01.1900 18:00:00"
"DriverUpdate"="28.06.2002 22:04:34"
"UserName"="TSRh TEAM"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IPSec]
"UserName"="TSRh TEAM"

I can not explain this..

RE

svgusta, thanks for the help. I copied my registry to agree with yours except you show the entry twice. I only input it once.

The only change was it went back from trial for 14 days to 15 days.

My registry did not show a UserName and showed a date under RISCx86.

Please tell me what does your opening page of the proggie say for the Current User? Mine shows my name.

Toots

Here is the opening page.
And the reg keys are 2 different, they seems the same...SE THE PICTURE...
Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME
Serivce Packed:
Build Numbered: 3000
Local Language: Norwegian (Bokmal)
Computer Name: SVENGUST
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS
Cureent User:

Attachments

RE

Hi Svgusta, I downloaded your Gif file of your registry. But it will not open to show the threads. Just the opening page of the registry.

Looked at your earlier post again and now I see the different path in the registry. I made the change, but it still shows 15 days left on trial.

I see your opening page of windriver does not show the Current User. Mine shows my name.

I really do appreciate your time and effort in helping me. Think I will now move on and forget about this wonderful proggie.

This reminds me of a similiar thing happening while trying to register Perfect Companion. It seems that if you messed it up the first time you could not correct it. It apparently looks at the number or name of your pc knows that you once had this software. This was the subject of many discussions at BamaFats old forum. At that time I tried changing the name of my pc but that did not work. Will try it again.

Thanks again pal,

Toots

Clean the reg

All's you have to do is delete the two entry's in the reg and reinstall using the right reg name and number...
I already tryed on my machine...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\IPSec]
"UserName"="TSRh TEAM"

[HKEY_USERS\. DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
IPSec]
"UserName"="TSRh TEAM"

:)

RE

Paul357, surely hope your are correct. Will try it. However, remember that I restored an image of C: and F: before I installed the proggie the second time. These entries should not have been in the registry because the proggie had not been heard of when the image was made. This is what believes me to believe that this does not involve the registry at all.

You had previously had the correct data installed so where ever it gets the registration data from it picked up the same data.

Also, the first page of the proggie shows my name as the current name and yet it was blank on svgustas'. This, I think is a clue. If I could find out how to delete my name from that page. I think would allow it to work with the Crk. The proggie has to ascertain this info from a source in win98 that does not change with a new image, like the registry does.

Will let you know.

Toots

RE

Paul357, I deleted the two entries from my registry. Mine are different from yours. Mine just shows the date twice and no UserName.

I then launched windriver. It still showed 15 days Trial. I looked at the registry and the entries I had deleted had been restored when I launched the proggie. I deleted the entries again. I removed the proggie. Checked carefully to be sure everything was gone. I then reinstalled windriver and the notice for registration came up, I registered under the TSRh Team and it did not register. It still showed 15 days trial. I looked at the registry and the same info (todays dates) has been restored.

So you see when the program is launched it picks up my name as user and will not allow my to change it to TSRh Team.

It could be the registration data on MY Computer. I got a small program that would allow me to change this but it would not launch in my system, said I need a newer Java Machine. Do not really know how you get a newer Java Machine. BTW my OS is win98 plain, no SE. Just thought this was worth a try if I changed my registration name to TSRh Team.

Thanks anyway.

Toots

Hi all.

I am a registered user of this program so I have a valid serial number and user name to test it out. This program has a bug in the date routine that the author was not aware of. When you enter your serial/name combination it checks the date on your machine. This date must be in the standard Microsoft format i.e dd/MM/yy 02/07/02 or any combination of this format. If you have a non standard date set as I have i.e July 02 2002 (with the spaces) it will not accept the serial number. Nothing happens. If I cahange the date to a recognised format it accepts my serial number and registers normally. If however, after I register it and then change the date to my format, i.e July 02 2002, it goes back to the 15 day trial mode. I don't know if this will help but check your date format. I wrote to the author and he will correct this in the next realease. If you have done a complete restore from a clean image and Windriver still manages to find your details then it must have the code in the bootblock of your drive. You could look to see this with the Norton (DOS) edition of Diskedit. If you want to monitor what the program is actually doing when it first starts then use Regmon or Filemon from Sysinternals. Free download so try.

Some good discussions in this group. Keep it up.

Regards to all.

Hi Toots,

I installed and registered successfully... when I ran the program I saw my name listed as the user on the opening page...so I guess that is not the issue causing ur problem...

toto2k, do you mean that even though you registered with TSRh Team, it still shows your name on the opening page when launched? Glad you told me this. Thanks

Toots

RE

It appears that peckish has the answer. I have AMI BIOs and win98. The date is written as July 4, 2002. There is no way to change this that I can find. So I will have to wait until a new version of WinDriver or install winxp. I am not ready for winxp yet. When I get the nerve I intend to Install winxp along with win98 and have duel booting.

Thanks again everyone. Your help is always appreciated.

Peckish you are something else. How in the world did you think of the date causing this problem. That is very impressive.

Thanks again

Toots