The Sims Not Loading Properly?

Hi, a friends having a problem with the sims, they start to load it up and it almost gets there, but then it exits to the desktop?!

Itz never happened before?

Any Help Please?

Thanks

Is it original cd, or a backup.If it's the original it sounds like a video card problem.Might need updated drivers for the video card..

ya

I need help with The sims deluxe edtion too. I just bought one after installed I cannot load the sims to play (from original cd). The screen go back to desktop. I've tried TheSims.com to find a solution but they said just disable all background apps which does not help in my case. I run winXP pro with AIW 8500 DV (cat 2.3) and C-media sound card. I'm not sure it this about my video card or not. Can anybody help?

I also posted this same problem under rage3d but so far no solution yet. BTW I tested it with my old system (win98, ati onboard) and don't have a problem playing it.

Normally when a game exits back to the destop after starting it is a video card problem.Usually videocard driver updates fix this.It could also be the resolution you are trying to run at.We are running that game(original) on an old Tnt2 card using Xp as an operating system.It is running fine.Try checking the ATI site for help. Use the directX troubleshooter to see if there is a problem there too.(system tools).;)

If running original from a burner,try disabling "hide Cdr" of Clone cd(a longshot, but maybe a blacklist).

ya

no good

Updated driver for video card AIW 8500 DV to cat2.5+wdm (driver date December 9) and also updated driver for onboard audio c-media to 6.43 (newest driver from winXP update) but nothing helps at all. I still get the same thing Crash to Desktop after finished loading game. BTW also updated winXP to SP1 and too tried to think of anything elses. Please anyone, any suggestions.:(

@Woody
I have done everything you memtioned and much more. I checked directX (8.1) if there are any conflicts, I used hide cd-r media (BTW I got new patch for clone CD to enable hide cd-r and apply weak section for US installer from another forum so for people in USA who need this option no need to switch region to any countries else anymore, I am not sure if it's okay to attach this file here, thou), I tested for any resolutions, decreased graphic acceleration, so on and so on.... Nothing seems to help at all I think I have no luck with this game.

The next step I think I'm going to upgrade to directX 9.0 and/or try to load this game under safemode ( if I can figure out how to reboot into safemode for WinXP por :D ). Any suggestions are still welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
Actually I am out of ideas.I have read where the protection on some new games stops it from working in some cd/dvd rom drives.People have resorted to returning the games for their money back.I have also heard where Daemon tools,Alcohol,etc.were blacklisted from time to time.Only removing or updating the software would allow these games to run.These are only worst case scenarios.

ya

@stevie_boz

You are right about sound issue. I contacted EA tech support and they told me to run game without sound. After I do that now I can get into game screen but without sound:(.

So my solution is not to update the latest driver available but to find a version that can run without confliction. Hopefully EA and C-media can find me a solution to solve this issue.

Thanks woody & Stevie for all your helps and for others if you still have problem running The sims deluxe edition (Crash to Desktop), I'd suggest you to try to run without sound. You can check EA tech support page to see how to modify shortcut in order to run without sound or splash screen.

Now I'm heading to sound card forum to see in anyone with c-media onboard have the same issue as I do and if there are any ways to solve this problem. I'll update post here if I can find anything helpful.

Last edited:

dx

Ya have you tried "roll back driver" on your sound card? It's an excellent part of Win2000 and WinXP. Can't remember if it is part of WinME too, but it might... doesn't matter you are XP right?!

In XP go to Computer Management >>> Device Management >>> Sound, Video, and Game controllers >>> Double click on you CMI device and choose driver tab. Push the "Roll Back Driver" and reboot when it asks you (if not do it anyways). You will now have your previous sound drivers to play your Sims again ;)

ya

Nope roll back driver doesn't work, infact I uninstalled driver out of my system but still The sims didn't run properly (Crash to Desktop). Only one way I can play sims is only run without sound (modify shortcut to sims.exe -nosound). This is really bad, I don't know anymore what is my really problem. And I don't like to play game without sound.

Tonight I will try again, this time I will disable onboard sound from BIOS and see if sims still cannot run. (Actually I will get my new sound card (Santa Cruz) today, so I will try with Santa Cruz as well.

BTW I have tired 3 different driver versions of C-media already but nothing help.

dx

Too bad bud, but it was worth a try anyway ;)

Strange problem your having, but not uncommon. Looks like the old M$ blaming the other party and the other party blaming M$. Reminds me of the whole Creative Labs Sound Blaster/Audigy and M$ blame game.

Well the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is an excellent sound card under XP (I have one too ;)), so if it was the C-Media drivers then this should sort it out. Fingers crossed!

stevenick

Sims Deluxe Crashing to Desktop?

Search for an audio codec called "ac3audio.ax" Probably in C:\Windows\System or C:\Windows\System32 and rename it "ac3audio.ax.old" . I got this advice from EA support and it worked for me. Apparantly it conflicts with the Sims internal mp3 player.

Lheena

Similar problem, though mine happened at a different time.

(My exact problem is I either a: use the CD to load the Sims, use the shortcut in my menu to load the sims, or go directly to the file in my Program Files to load sims.exe. The "The Sims Deluxe Edition" loading screen appears, and then promptly dissapears. Then, I'm treated to a "'The Sims Deluxe Edition has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' screen. I have contacted EA, and they sent me a canned 'This is how you install it, and make sure to close all other programs'.)

I know my copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition is not faulty, since it works on my mother's computer. I know reinstalling it doesn't work, because I've done that roughly 7 times, already.

I know that there is nothing wrong with the way it interacts with Windows (unless there is something wrong with my Windows CD, so installs a bad version), since I have changed hard drives and reinstalled windows in hopeing to get it to work.

I know changing the compatibility from XP to 2000, 98, Me, NT, or 95 does not fix the problem - in NT compatibility mode, it even said it was the incorrect CD.

I know it's not an issue with my drivers - it was doing this before, and after I updated my video card drivers - and before and after I upgraded to DX9.02.

I have Intel Integrated Audio, and I can't find any drivers for them.

I know that I don't have this elusive codex file - in about 15 min (after I reinstall it yet again) I'm going to give the 'making a shortcut and putting -nosound after it a shot.

If anyone has any further fixes or ides, PLEASE. I've been tearing my hair out for quite some time with this, and I don't want to have to wait for when Sims 2 comes out (I get a net computer then. ^_^)

Oh, and I don't have the codec. :(

My comp's stats are:

Western Digital 80 gig HD
Intel Celeron PII 633 mhz (yeah, it's sucky. )
Intel 82810 integrated video
Intel Integrated Audio
Windows XP
128 ram
DX 9.02