Sygate personal firewall crashes

Hi Folks, here's the problem

I have been using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro after having problems with Zonealarm Pro keeping programs in memory

Im using version 5.0.1175s, with the latest sig file

Sometimes when shutting down/rebootin the PC, it locks at the Windows is shutting down screen & i then have 2 reset it & then run Norton Disc Doctor 2 fix the lost clusters this causes:(It doe'nt do it all the time, mostly when the PC has been on 4 a while.Now i know it aint heat that is causin it because the PC has plenty fans in it

The other problem is it also has a habit of crashing when playing games(Jedi Knight 2 & others).1 minute it's ok then i get the GPF box flashing on top of the game, so i then have 2 quit & reboot as it won't load again.I have the Faultlog report of this & it is always the Sylog.dll that bombs it???

Also it seems 2 take about a minute after windows has finished loading before it loads Sygate???(this might be cause i have a option checked, me not sure

I never had these probs with ZA Poro

Here's the logfile

Date 04/30/2003 Time 02:27
SMC caused an invalid page fault in
module SYLOG.DLL at 01af:009b59b4.
Registers:
EAX=02c30818 CS=01af EIP=009b59b4 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=0532d030 SS=01b7 ESP=0532ca70 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000001 DS=01b7 ESI=02b2c2f8 FS=1197
EDX=0532d030 ES=01b7 EDI=0532d5d4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
f3 a5 8b 08 5f 89 4a 70 8b 48 04 89 4a 74 8b 48
Stack dump:
0000057d 02c30818 009b6433 02c30818 0532d030 02b24240 03986e4c 009b4e8c 00000001 00000000 0532d030 009c3150 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000000

PC is

PentiumII 300
192Mb ram
MSI intelLX motherboard
Geforce 2 GTS
Soundblaster AW64 Value
Motorola Surfboard SB4200 USB Cable Modem
Browser is Opera 7.10

Only other thing running is NAV2002

This makes me very wary about leaving Kazaa running overnight as i sometimes do if im D/L a lot of live concerts

Any Help & Advice Greatfully Appreciated

BaNzI:D

hehehehe

Well, lets say FTP trojans as one problem. Kazaa as another. Computer on and trojan sends yo infro for someone to D/L from YOUR computer and firewall has problems.

Sygate DOES cause shutdown problems and best to quit before logging off Windows. Possibly as a good blocker to the END of Windows.

Sygate does not perform very well on 9X machines, like yours. In fact every application that likes to run as a system service (and does that at fake mode under 9X) has certain memory management problems- sometimes significant, some others not.
Test your luck with another firewall.
As for NAV 2002, I will decline commenting- or maybe I will do that on the "adults" section.
PS: You may also test the system stability with ANY sort of third party RAM manager disabled- and adding some more physical RAM.

Last edited:
Do you have DLL Authentication enabled? Having that enabled has been known to cause conflicts with games and other prog's. Set it to update automatically because the latest sig file is 5.0.2012.

Yep i have DLL Authentication enabled & Automaticaly Allow Known Dlls enabled 2 Nunyobiznes.So far it has not caused probs with games or progs(apart from netscape mail still in memory, but i use the terminate funtion 2 get rid of it, me starting 2 think that prob is a netscape 1)Also using that sig file U mentioned & it also set 2 autoupdate

Think im starting 2 agree with U on that scarecrow, i never had these probs with ZA pro.As for NAV2002, well it has saved my ass on more than few occasions(mostly kazaa):)As for the ram stability, i don't have any ram manager running & the memory is ok

So is it better 2 disable the DLL Authentication?

The only thing about Sygate is that i don't seem 2 get the same amount of alerts that ZA gave me(ie my ISP scanning me with their abuse scanner, ZA used 2 go mad about that, but Sygate does'nt even mention it?

Any other suggestions as 2 good firewalls?

I was goin 2 wipe the system & reinstall yesterday as i used 2 do that every 7-8 months just 2 speed things up & ckean house

Thanks 4 this & future advice

Cheers

I have one (virtual) ME installation in my system, but it does not use any firewall- it normally boots via a virtual network where the internet gate is guarded by Kerio 3 beta6 on a real 2000 instllation. So far no problems, although I don't use any sanboxing on the virtual machine- I just recieve no mail there, and I pay some attention on what I install.
Moreover I'm not sure if yours is a genuine firewall problem, or if it is Norton or Opera which cap your memory resources- both of them can under conditions be RAM suckers.
I'd suggest trying with Sygate on again, but using a more resources-friendly antivirus (NOD32 for 9X), and a light+tested browser, eg the "stable" Phoenix/Firebird 0.5 release. If your puter passes the test, then it may be time to take some measures- still @ the current prices the most sensible seems to me adding some more RAM.

Cheers scarecrow:)

Have ditched Sygate & am now using Kerio 3 beta 6

Everything ok so far apart from a error when rebooting after installing, something about the service encountering an error & that it wont be started

Still 2 see if it will come up again

Cheers 4 the info Bud:)

PS im amazed at the speed increase in my browsing after ditching Sygate, must of had an option checked that was really slowing things down on most sites

The browser im using is Opera 7.10.Damn fine browser

Now it's Flying YIPPPEEEE:p

Last edited:
@banzibaby been using kerio for a while now and love it to bits. but Sygate seems to work better on xp set ups then 98s had it installed for about 2months (xp) but had to go back to kerio.....You won't be using anything else bro the Kerio...

Cheers RASTABT:)

Yep it is a really good firewall bud:)

Knew i should of listened 2 U in the first place & used it from the start:)

banzibaby you can't follow everyones advice, so it's always a matter of testing out the goods for youeself. As you can see many are happy with kerio. I'm happy that you have found something that works for you.....:)

Cheers RASTABT

Got a question re Kerio

Even if the PC has been running 4 a few hours, i still get no blocked attempts(ie incoming packets blocked/outgoing packets blocked on the status tab

I have it set 2 high security, just thought that it would have displayed that info