Svcd/vcd/dvd Ignorant!!!!!

dliteya

I am absolutely ignorant of burning dvd's. I have downloads of MPG files. I have no avi's, mpeg-1's or mpeg-2's. I have NERO, Alcohol120% and I have Roxio DVD builder. I am using Memorex CD-RW 700mb/80min and my burner is a Sony CRX230A-U CD-R/CD-RW burner. I am trying to play them on a Sanyo DVW-7000 DVD/VHS player.

I have tried everything to get this to work. I don't even know that you can burn viewable DVD's without a "DVD burner". I have a close relative, who thinks he knows everything, trying to tell me what to do and to no avail. I really need an idiots breakdown of what all is required to even do this. I ve read a lot about this. I thought I was doing everything right, but obviously i'm not. When I do try to burn these files, the software proceeds normally.......encoding takes a couple of hours and the burning takes about 10 minutes. Then, NOTHING.......The disc shows on my computer as blank......completely empty and of course shows and error on my DVD player.

I apologize profusely for my ignorance. Please help if you can.

Thank You

You say you have some MPG files but no AVI's mpeg1 or mpeg2 files. The MPG's will be either mpeg1 or 2. Then what sort of MPG files are they? Get the new beta version of GSPOT and load the MPG into it and report its findings. If they are already VCD or SVCD MPEG complaint, all you need to do is burn them to CD in the right way.

I'd scrap those crappy Memorex CDR's and spend a few extra $'s on some decent media. Dont burn them at any higher speed than 16x as well.

Check out the Tutorial section, there is a wealth of info there.

dliteya

thanks for replying.......they just say MPG.......i will download that program and find out more detail about them. So, I can burn dvd's with my cdburner.......i dont need to go buy a dvd burner?? and I will get some DVDR or DVDRW......

dliteya said:
thanks for replying.......they just say MPG.......i will download that program and find out more detail about them. So, I can burn dvd's with my cdburner.......i dont need to go buy a dvd burner?? and I will get some DVDR or DVDRW......
Wait ChickenMan didn't say anything about burning DVD's with a CDR-W burner, cause it can't done! When you get done you will have cds that can play on some dvd players. :cool::cool:

@dliteya as per PC-GUY's statement you only have a CDRW or cd burner and not a DVD burner DVD-r BLANKs will simply just not be recognised or be burnable in ANY CDRW burner only a DEDICATED DVDR/RW burner many programs state that they can backup any dvds without a dvd burner which is really a FALSE HOPE STATEMENT to get you to buy ... yet reading the small print on the webpage or the box will tell you CLEARLY that you must have a DVD burner to burn to dvdr media :)

what the program infact does it takes a dvdr and you convert it to CDR as a VCD or SVCD or avi/divx ..... although you STILL need a DVD ROM drive or reader to read the DVD disk you wish to duplicate or backup into the PC hard drive :)

confusing i know but thats how they sell their programs by the confusion :mad:

dliteya

okay, so pretty much, i need to buy a dedicated dvd burner.......right?.......and of course get some decent dvdr and dvdrw.....which will increase my chances of being able to view them on my home dvd player.......right? truly sorry for my ignorance....... :eek:

You simply cant go past the Pioneer 108 in my opinion, the whole Pioneer series of burners has served me well over the past couple of years. But then again, the next 20 posts will be recommending 20 other brand/units. There is poll here about which burners people use, well the Pioneer is on top, closely followed by the LiteOn.

Spend some time reading in both of the Tutorial sections on how to make dvd images from most of the available sources.