SuSE Linux v.10.1 Development release

THX for the info.......tried SuSe 9.3 for a while,but still prefer PCLinuxOS.....maybe the upcoming version will change that :)

N.B.

Staff member
sometimes it comes to me that SuSE is just like Windows,
but hey, at least you can get it without any license fees .. and still its open source.

for my test/work boxes I usually use Debian or sometimes Gentoo ...
For our customers on the other hand we use SuSE all the time and people are happy with it, beside the USB printer stuff :D

The move to set SuSE opensource is well accepted, but now it is Fedora-like: "Free as free speech" and not "free as beer". This means that officially you have no MP3, P2P, java, decss support, and you have to use unofficial packages, which are not well built, most of the times...
SuSE was my first Linux distro, but currently I wouldn't bother too much about it.

Last edited:

N.B.

Staff member
yeah, that is quite annoying, especially for not so experiences users.

What do use right now ?

N.B. said:
What do use right now ?
I'm using Arch Linux which is a strange mixture of the minimalistic Crux Linux, BSD-like initscripts and Slackware Philosophy- although compared to Slackware you have dependencies built in the installation packages, i686 optimization (of course every puter with a PII or newer, and all 64-bit machines will work with it), bleeding edge (almost) packages, and KISS philosophy. Installing it isn't difficult at all (I think easier than Slackware), and once you're familiar with Linux basics and console, its administration is the easiest thing on earth. I have been using it for more than one year almost exclusively, and I couldn't be happier- maybe it's not "stable enough" for usage in a Corporate Server, but for SOHO environment it simply rocks, either as workstation or as a server. Oh, and everything that is free, but not GPL IS there, you can install and use it right-out-of-the-box...

Last edited: