Suse Linux 9.2 DVD ISO available for download

The DVD version seems fine, and it's a welcome change to the standard SuSE policy.
I have tried to use the other stuff (the SuSE minimal CD) to install from network, but to my surprise the damn thing could not intialize a pretty trivial DHCP client setup, and it was also unable to connect via a standard proxy. I guess they need to work on it, as virtually ALL current Linux distros setup DHCP automatically upon boot time...

I've tryed some distros since a couple of months, including suse. I must admit I had downloaded a not so legal cd version. It was nice, but i didn't really liked the "not so legal" part... Why use linux if its not free? Also the cd version didn't had fortran compiler witch was badly needed.

I'm actually on FC3 but I get errors on bootup after some upgrades. Also, I don't really understand why, some kernels are really slow. Could it be because of nvidia drivers not present? Don't know but I'm keeping an "old" kernel.

From you recommendation scarecrow, I'm trying some optimized distros. I've installed Yoper and I'm pretty amased of the speed! I'm actually downloading its kernel sources, needed for ndiswrapper to compile. Thats a bit sad its not included on the cd because without it, I can't compile ndiswrapper to acces internet...

I think you also recommended Arch. Does your opinion still keep?

big_gie said:
I think you also recommended Arch. Does your opinion still keep?
Hands down the best/fastest binary based distro out there (source based stuff like Gentoo is another thing). Oddly enough the 0.7 beta base ISO does not include rp-pppoe, so the only way to use a network installation is via DHCP, or pre-download pppd and rp-pppoe (if you are on ADSL). Packages are bleeding edge and of very high quality, the system structure extremely simple and easy to manage with a plain texteditor, and the kernels totally clean of bloated distro-specific code- just "vanilla Linus" and a couple of ACPI related patches. IMHO due to its nature it's best fit for desktop and laptop environments, for servers you would probably prefer something more tested (who needs KDE 3.3.2 and XFCE 4.2 for a server the next day of the official release?).
The distro also doesn't seem to bother about "slight" licencing issues... non-GPL packages are included on the main repos. And of course the package manager (the console based pacman) is absolutely superb- the best *nix software installer I've ever seen.
You can call it "Slackware on Steroids"...

Last edited:
Wow I'll sure give it a try :)

Does it supports xfs filesystem? I'm using this with fedora and am pretty satisfied with it...

big_gie said:
Wow I'll sure give it a try :)

Does it supports xfs filesystem? I'm using this with fedora and am pretty satisfied with it...
Yes it does... and it also works with ReiserFS 4, if you patch the kernel with the mm or nitro patches (until Linus considers it stable enough to enter the kernel source).
Have in mind though that your regular liveCD will NOT be able to mount XFS/Reiser4 partitions, so if something bad happens then you must look for a Gentoo liveCD (which supports both XFS and Reiser4) or admit that you fecked it bigtime...
Better is IMHO to stick for the moment to proven and flexible stuff like ReiserFS 3.6, and leave XFS and Reiser4 for later.

PS: almost forgot: Arch uses solely gcc for compiling, and the old plain GNU make system (no "gmake" stuff, just "make")... That might dissapoint you, if you are a software developer, but it was built with simplicity in mind.

Last edited:
mojo8850 said:
Hey Guy's..

Is There A HTTP Mirror The FTP Mirror Are Absolutly Slow..!

:)
_http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/suse/i386/live-cd-9.2/SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveDVD.iso

Server is located in Greece (National Technical University of Athens), downloading at work with ~200kb/s.
:)

EDIT:
Oups, sorry, that"s the Live DVD, is that what u r looking for?

Last edited: