Spyware Stoppers

Well spotted - saw it somewhere else, and it's a right riveting read.
Another forum, Aluria was getting a hell of a pasting for false alarms, poor support, and for threatening / forcing removal of criticism them on independent antispyware sites.

Unless you inherently mistrust Microsoft (or don't have XP), their corrunt (beta) Antispyware is also well worth having, though dumping Microsoft Internet Exploder in favour of Mozilla, Firefox, Opera or anything NOT reliant on the micro$hit browser core, is also a good move.

http://www.offbyone.com/ob1_overview.htm

Off By One Browser Limitations

No JavaScript support (so no pop-up ad windows).

No applet, plug-in or Flash support.
Limitations? - with all the crap that some sites (no, not just THOSE sites) try to shove at you, I'd call that a feature - you can't use it as a regular browser, to be honest, unless sites pay genuine attention to backward compatibility (HTML 3.2) - many site break down badly.

ive found that MICROSOFT anti spy is far better than even ADAWARE as adaware is NOW in cahoots with some adware suppliers :mad: .. as they have recently removed a few definitions for select companys that... are funding the programmers (lavasofts) beer money no doubt lol :)

so i lost faith in adware as the ulimate tool for spyware and switched to MS ANTISPY and so far so good its found a whole lot of stuff that adaware totally missed :mad:

The free version of Adaware is not resident, so you ought to be able to scan with both - I suspect the MS one may alert on some actions taken.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html - another thing that is becoming essential - it plugs many holes, by locking down a lot of risky activeX componnents, and by warning / offering to fix if your ActiveX settings are any less strict than PROMPT for signed and BLOCK for downloading unsigned.

Mind you, signing of Activex is a pretty USELESS issue - signed ActiveX proves it comes from who it claims to - NOTHING MORE - some of the scummiest ActiveX components are validly signed.

That is the thing to remember - signing is NOT a certificate of "goodness", only a certificate of authenticity - and it can be totally authentic MALWARE.

NOTE i have both installed but maby its because im too LAZY to uninstall adaware lol :p :)

anyhow both work fine ... i see no reason why to use both at the same time when microsoft anti spy works best :)

Ehtesham

Yes i agree with you on that but microsoft anti spware aint that good..
I use spyware doctor and it's really good!! ;)

Ehtesham said:
Yes i agree with you on that but microsoft anti spware aint that good..
I use spyware doctor and it's really good!! ;)
On the contrary- it is a fine piece of software, because it ain't Microsoft! (MS acquired the software AND the vendor just a few weeks ago).

scarecrow said:
On the contrary- it is a fine piece of software, because it ain't Microsoft! (MS acquired the software AND the vendor just a few weeks ago).

exactly why its good software BILL and friends did not code it they just branded it :)