Split second pauses during playback...sometimes a bit longer

commissioner

i used dvdstripper to remove all the extras from monsters inc and keep the menu. then dvdshrink to remove unwanted audio tracks (with no compression) before burning with nero. during playback on stand alone dvd player, there was a split sec pause midway through the movie. i was informed this could be layer break that dvdshrink doesnt catch 100% of the time. fair enough. however, i used dvdstripper to split who framed roger rabbit into two discs (no compression again) and the pauses are a bit longer this time. in fact it paused a few times. is this the layer break problem again? is there a work around the pauses/freezes? btw, i was burning 4x on hp dvd+rw. tx in advance.

Arianos

betatester
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure The Poacher will greet you also. :)

Momentarily freezes can happen due to a million reasons.
99.9995% are either media (DVD+-R) or standalone related.
First make sure that the above is NOT the case (check DVD+RW on other standalone).
And before you start defending and praising your standalone, I tell you that
I have seen cases (to my amazement) of DVD-Rs that play OK on Philips and JVC, to stutter on Pioneer and Sony players.
Or even DVD+Rs to fail completely on Philips and Toshiba and play without a hitch on others.

Last edited:

nwg

All versions of Shrink 3.1 can cause freezing and stuttering problems with some players. This was fixed with 3.1.6 beta 7 (came out after the final 3.1.6). Try the latest 3.1.7 beta 5 (also has ISO support).

Otherwise, the problem can be a combination of either the media or the player. I also don't burn faster than 2x or 2.4x.

Arianos

betatester
commissioner said:
.....fair enough. however, i used dvdstripper to split who framed roger rabbit into two discs (no compression again) and the pauses are a bit longer this time. in fact it paused a few times. is this the layer break problem again? is there a work around the pauses/freezes? btw, i was burning 4x on hp dvd+rw. tx in advance.
My suspicions would indeed fall on DVDShrink, as I'm aware of the 'occasional freezes on some standalones' issue, hopefully gone with 3.1.7 beta 5*, BUT in the second part of the posting, a pure split has problems, so DVDShrink can't be blamed.

*I guess I'm lucky, but my "shrinked' DVD-Rs made from 3.1.2 till 3.1.6b7 all play OK on a Philips 743, a JVC N77 and a Sony Pico.

Last edited:

commissioner

Arianos said:
My suspicions would indeed fall on DVDShrink, as I'm aware of the 'occasional freezes on some standalones' issue, hopefully gone with 3.1.7 beta 5*, BUT in the second part of the posting, a pure split has problems, so DVDShrink can't be blamed.

*I guess I'm lucky, but my "shrinked' DVD-Rs made from 3.1.2 till 3.1.6b7 all play OK on a Philips 743, a JVC N77 and a Sony Pico.
tx for the replies. i guess i will try another brand of dvd+rw. i've been playing with +rw's to work out the kinks before committing to +r's where there are no do-overs.