Sound problems recording from internet radio

littlebritain

When recording from any radio station via real player the recording picks up external sound from the external microphone. I've checked the usual settings but it makes no difference. Anyone know the fix? :confused:

Is the microphone audible through the speakers as well?

I assume you are "loopback recording" from the Stereo Mix or What-U-Hear inputs - it sounds like you've already checked the mixer though?
Try loopback recording from the WAVE/MP3 source, if it will let you - My SB Live does!

Is it the standard Windows mixer panel, or one from the soundcard?

Other lines of attack are to buy "Total Recorder" - www.highcriteria.com - which can rip the decoded stream as it hits the sound card, or other avenues of ripping the stream and decoding, or ripping the output - an alternative player such as Winamp, with input plugins and diskwriter output may be another possibility, although I'd expect it to be blocked.

Also depends if you want to listen and record, or just record.

littlebritain

recording from internet radio

thanks for the reply, i think my software is rubbish as a lot of suggestions you have made don't seem to be relevant. It's myMP3 Pro from Steinberg which I bought from pc world a while ago. I can download the stream from a website for example a well known radio station (1) - on playback of the downloaded realplayer file it seems to record the sound from the speakers and the mic. I've tried to turn the mic off but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Try this little gem!
http://www.techlogic.ca/r4/product.mv?5

It also gives you access to the record source setting from its own windows, and while it's called "Absolute MP3 Recorder", it can use any available Windows codec (and if no suitable MP3 codec is available, look for LAME ACM version around popular websites).

This is a playthrough and simultaneous record solution - downloading or realtime stream ripping may be another possibilty - they banned "Streambox ripper" from doing REAL formats, but if you find an old version and a way to use it (don't ask), then good luck.

I'm sure there was a site dedicated to lobbying radio stations to dump REAL in favour of something friendlier - REAL have flirted FAR too often with spyware and privacy intrusion.