sony says don't use 4X media..........

stevejb

Hi Everyone;
I'm new to this so maybe you can make sense out of this. I have a Sony DRU510 A 4X DVD writer. From the outset I've only used 4X dvd-r media -mostly Ritek.
I visited Sony's site to look for any firmware upgrades and they posted a note entitled in red ink: '4X dvd-rw media not compatible for recording with your drive. please use 1X or 2X compatible dvd-rw media only'.
Does this apply to 4X dvd-r media as well or only -rw ?!?!? I'm confused as this is supposedly a 4X burner but what do I know. Have I been using the wrong media all along. Could this possibly be contributing to the occasional freezing up and audio glitches I get in some of my back-ups or does this notification have nothing to do with what I've been doing ??
Any info/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve.

A 4X DVD-R drive is normally limited to 2X on DVD-RW, so I'd say it's pretty much as expected.

Any problems you have with 4x DVD-R media, are likely to be media quality or player compatibility issues.

DRU 510A is 4X both on +R and -R, 2.4X on +RW and 2X on -RW (btw I have never seen a -RW blank in my life). So yes, you cannot use 4X rewritables.

Last edited:

stevejb

Thanks for the responses !! I'll keep plugging along. This site is a tremendous help for us newbies; nice job !!! :D :cool:

Steve.