Sony: PS3 Launch Costs Increasing

On the heels of financial results that the company's game operations saw sales drop 30 percent in Q1 (overall profits rose 11 percent), Sony's senior VP Takao Yuhara says that investors should expect bigger losses from the gaming side as the PlayStation 3 (PS3) launch nears (via Ars Technica).

It's normal for videogame manufacturers to sell systems at a loss at make up the difference on games, and Yuhara says that Sony will recoup the initial losses.

Recently, I've been asked whether owning a TiVo or other DVR is really worth it. "I don't watch that much TV," they say, and I always reply that it doesn't matter. Well, a new study has looked at whether or not owning a DVR increases the hours of TV consumers watch, and the answer is ... no. But, lo and behold, there is another study that says exactly the opposite.

Netgear, one of the biggest names in home networking, will be acquiring SkipJam, which makes home entertainment and control software, for $9 million in cash. According to a press release, SkipJam software will become part of future multimedia products for Netgear, such as media centers, media players and audio players.

For more Tech Today, including news on how XM is gaining new subscribers, Dolby's foray into the 3D projection world, and debating the future of HDTV, check out
http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/14361.html