sony DW-u18 dvd+/- rw doesent burne dvd

What software? - as that's an OEM Sony model, I assume it didn't include software, so if what you're using it with is too old, it may be providing generic MMC CD writing, but not DVD.

Does it make any kind of burn at all on DVD, or does it not even start.

NB. Reflashing an OEM Sony U18 has some other issues, as there are gear driven and belt driven versions, while all the known retail and original Liteon models are gear driven...

The Belt driven model cannot use gear driven firmware, so the only alternative for a belt driven model -
Recognised by firmware version UFS1 (or general format UFSn if later), is crossflash fixed (use the Codeguys omnipatcher) firmware for the belt driven D18 (VFS2) - this adds DL support.

For a gear driven model There are a wider range of choices, as I understand it, any 812S based firmware would work without patching, and any 832S based firmware (such as the Sony DRU700A, the Liteon 832S firmware patched to Sony DRU700A, or the Codeguys +R quality tweaked firmware - CG3E) can be applied with the Omnipatcher crossflash patch "fix dead drive blink".

I definitely echo the comment, ensure the drive is not FAULTY before starting this - if you're clever, you can undo a crossflash, if you took the trouble to save the drive EEPROM as it was before, and have access to an original firmware.
It's also worth trying some different media, or at least identifying what you have.

I don't rate Sony very highly as a Liteon rebrand...
Retail = Overpriced, and firmware updates erratic - sometimes first, sometimes very late
OEM models = firmware, forget it!
- and Sony apparently dictated the switch to stupid flashing green for writing, instead of Liteon's traditional RED for write, ORANGE for Burnproof

It wouldn't matter so much, if the early firmware wasn't such a disaster for burn quality and media support.

The "hackabilty" is the only reason I've stayed with Liteon for DVD writing... There are FAR better writers from Benq, NEC, Pioneer and Plextor.
Personally, I'd rate the Liteon above the Artec, and in the same league as the BTC and Optorite - Mind you, the price difference between the first division and second division is shrinking.

DW-U18 is gear driven, the belt driven drive has a different codename, so ne need to worry...
Lots of people have flashed Lite-On firmware to the gear driven Sony drive in the past with some 100% success percentage.
But of course getting sure that the drive is not BLR BEFORE flashing Lite-On firmware applies.