Sony DRX-720UL Problem...

Borealys_II

Hello and Good Day,

I suppose as a first post I should make this as coherent as possible to allow you fine individuals to, hopefully, further assist me in my situation.

I purchased a Sony DRX-720UL External Dual Layer/Dual Format DVD Burner for my laptop. It is running on USB 2.0 (via a USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card from IoGear). I can play DVD movies, read DVDs with content already on them, read CD's with content on them etc, however whenever I put a blank DVD into the drive it will read it and (while looking in My Computer) it switches the name of the drive from DVD-RW to CD-Rom Drive. It will not allow a DVD to be read, and I suspect it is a software issue and not hardware.

I would appreciate any assistance in this endeavor and look forward to hearing from any and all of you soon.

Just for the technically inclined, I did use the newest firmware update from Sony's website and I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Appreciatively Yours,

Borealys II

Borealys_II said:
however whenever I put a blank DVD into the drive it will read it and (while looking in My Computer) it switches the name of the drive from DVD-RW to CD-Rom Drive. It will not allow a DVD to be read

...... i dont want to point out the obvious here but its a blank dvd what do you expect to see !? :confused:

it happens with all drives and all firmware you will see nothing until you write something to it :)

Borealys_II said:
however whenever I put a blank DVD into the drive it will read it and (while looking in My Computer) it switches the name of the drive from DVD-RW to CD-Rom Drive. It will not allow a DVD to be read, and I suspect it is a software issue and not hardware.

I would appreciate any assistance in this endeavor and look forward to hearing from any and all of you soon.

Just for the technically inclined, I did use the newest firmware update from Sony's website and I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Appreciatively Yours,

Borealys II
Just to add to what VIPER said, as far as windows changing the drive to CD-Rom when you put a blank in this totally normal.

Borealys_II

I realize that putting a blank DVD into the drive is going to yeild nothing on the disk. However, when I try to re-create a copy of my highschool graduation thats on DVD, the copying software will not proceed after asking for a blank DVD because the drive goes to CD Drive and doesn't think anything is there. Recommendations? Suggestions?

Seb

Sounds like media incompatibility to me. Which dvd media are you using?
Try better media like verbatim, tayo yueden or maxell. They are expensive, but a worthy investment IMHO.

Seb said:
Sounds like media incompatibility to me. Which dvd media are you using?
Try better media like verbatim, tayo yueden or maxell. They are expensive, but a worthy investment IMHO.

and not RITEK G05 the forum choice !?

lol :)

VIPER_1069 said:
and not RITEK G05 the forum choice !?

lol :)
No. Ritek aren't currently anywhere close to the media mentioned above, which are way more reliable ( well, for good Verbatim and Maxell badges- which are Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi, respectively).
My latest buy was 50 Ritek G05 with printable surface, and after burning 35 of them I didn't have a single coaster, but I'd rather attribute that to the unpickiness of the NEC ND- 3500AG burner, and not to the media quality, which obviously enough ain't great!

Last edited:
Borealys_II said:
Viper,

I am using Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.2 Sony Edition (it came with the burner).
So, you have a Lite-On DVD burner (rebadged as Sony). Liteys are supposed to work quite well with the Ritek G05's, but if you can find Tayio Yuden, Mitsubishi or Mitsui media, then go for them. They cost a few pennies more, but they are well worth
the extra cost because of their reliability, quality and longenvity.

Seb

scarecrow said:
So, you have a Lite-On DVD burner (rebadged as Sony). Liteys are supposed to work quite well with the Ritek G05's, but if you can find Tayio Yuden, Mitsubishi or Mitsui media, then go for them. They cost a few pennies more, but they are well worth
the extra cost because of their reliability, quality and longenvity.
Ditto... :)