Sony Announces a Super Playstation 2 (Slashdot)

"Sony has announced a souped-up Playstation 2 in Japan. The machine, named the "PSX", comes with 120GB hard drive and a DVD+/-RW for recording videos and DVR features. The machine will be released sometime in 2003, and come with a service that offers multimedia content such as video and music through internet connectivity. If you live in Japan, it will also come with a BS tuner; which is a Japanese Satellite Broadcast tuner. The new machine also boasts a real-time OS, USB 2.0, Memorystick slot, and a connection with Sony's Portable handheld, the "PSP".
http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/mr_keiho/kuta_j_0528.pdf

Oh well

I love my psx units , but at the same time I love my xbox to, plus I imagine xbox is all over it Bill Gates stated if psx comes out with a new one he would be there to match it,
in other words but meaning the same thing.

ps2king

Don't worry, Sony is also in progress in making a hard drive compatible with the ps2. YOu'll need a network adapter to play it etc... As for you driftonin you can add a hdd to ur xbox and get emulators no prob. But some ppl prefer the ps2 over the xbox (me hehehe):D so the decision is up to the buyer. The hard drive will range from 40-120gb (i think). So it will be coming pretty soon.....

JAPAN already has the PS2 HARD DRIVE for some time now !! :)
the broad band adapter for the PS2 has also been around for months :)

the HARD drive just does not seem popular enough to have as an addon device so sony are just going to grab for more money and release it as a whole new concept in one box type thing ...... basically its still the same PS2 with a hard drive shoved in the expansion port :confused:

ps2king

here's another site that shows the "psx" it talks about it too. Check it out.

http://www.brookfresh.co.uk/

Once you get to the site scroll down a bit then you'll see it. THe title is PSX launched in Japan

Tell me what you think about it. It's a really cool upgrade. Too bad it's only in Japan. How much do you think it's worth here in North America.

BTW- this site also shows how to install a HDD into ur Ps2 if anyone is interested. It's down on the right side of the page in orange in the tutorials section. It's the first one.

Enjoy.

hehe My sources are always on the Ball with Technology :D

The JAPANESE always get the goodies before the rest of the world bleh :(

Others may not even get to see it at all :(