Software/Audio Player Question.

A-Traveller

Hi All.

I've heard all about how the ability of an audio player to play a CDR could depend on the media, the burn speed, the drive used to burn, etc...BUT...does it also depend on the burning software used?

For example, if a CDR is burned using software A and another one burned using software B, assuming that BOTH burns were of TOP quality with very little errors, is it possible that an audio player could like the CDR burned by only one of the software and not the other, with everything else being equal/identical? Please remember that BOTH software produce near perfect burns.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The theory is definitely - NO, so long as both softwares are controlling the drive correctly, and make no errors.

The practice - some say a Nero burn has higher C1 errors than some other software, but never seen that backed up by scans, or any indication of how software could influence low level parameters.

The parameters which MAY vary in software, include things like burn speed control, and options to adhere to certain standards, or to slacken them.

About the only way software could easily influence burn quality, is by speed control, or by supporting special features such as Yamaha AudioMaster, Vari-Rec and others - though out of all of them, Audiomaster is about the only one which is a definite improvement.

I'm not sure I convinced myself though - the main complication in audio is the use of subcodes, and there are different ways of doing those ... if a drive only supports one, or if all software favours one only, then it should be consistent.

Some (often older) drives did not support cuesheet mode (SAO), so had to write in DAO, with the software taking a larger role in the formatting.

The subcodes may be in PQ - (DAO+16) or PW (DAO+96) - and I've seen a screwed up result where the software and the drive didn't appear to agree on how to do CD-Text - in fact, I'd say i'm still a little suspicious on the effect of CD-Text on compatibility with older players.