side fans

02coled

hello
should a side case fan suck in or blow out air and is there any differenec in both ways
thanks
damian cole

Master

Gold Member
Mine are blowing the cool air directly to the mobo...they are blowing in.

I am using psu´s with a 12cm fan for blowing out.
(3 AMD powered computers)

i have 2 x 4 inch (10cm) fans on my case side i fitted one inwards and one outwards to force cold air in and hot air out! :)

02coled

Mine was blowing out until about 3 weeks ago and now have changeng to it sucking in, pointing straight to the cpu, ram and chipset coolers. I'm quessing that sucking in is the good thing to do as there isnt realy any other way of getting air directly onto the CRUCIAL bits that NEED it.
thanks everyone just needed to make sure it was the rigth thing to do.

By the way does any one know of anythig to do to directly suck the HOT air out as i always feel that with all my FANS the pc still shudent be hot and that as quikcly as the cool air going in its being sucked striaght out and it would be good to have the hot air actucally sucked of the HOT parts!! and replased with cool. ANY IDEAS?
thanks
Damian Cole

Hello Folks,

You should have a fan in the front of the computer case sucking air into the computer case. You should have a fan in the rear of the computer case sucking air out of the computer case just like the power supply cooling fan sucks air out of the power supply.

If you have a side fan it should be sucking air out of the computer case away from the CPU cooling fan. You should note that the CPU cooling fan is sucking air away from the CPU. If you have the side fan blowing air into the computer towards the CPU cooling fan you defeat the cooling effects of the CPU cool fan sucking air away from the CPU.

Best Regards,
Coaster

02coled

has any one tryed pci slot blowers or fans as was looking at buying one to cool my vga card heat sink. And know any good ones that you recomneded

I already have 2 fans in, and 1 back one out, and the side one is pointing in

thanks
damian cole

02coled

i did but i am looking at blowers to suck the HOTT air out directly and on your link it is just pci fans which move there air around right
thanks
damian

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=31253&doy=21m3&QV=P

**NOT RECOMMENDED** - this mini system can fit between cards in a tight space, but the fan design is prone to clogging, as the blade profile is incorrect.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=25480&doy=21m3&QV=P

Much more efficient/effective, but is a tight fit between heatsinks on a card above it, and any rear mounted components on a card below it - do not expect to sandwich this one between two adjacent cards.

I have used (or tried to) both styles - one similar to the second one (not a Maplin one though) would not fit, fouling a two card sandwich between graphics and the TV/modem combo card that must be in a special slot, and fouling motherboard connectors in the lower slot.

The Maplin mini, fitted ok in the sandwich position, though I was less than impressed by its flow/noise performance compared to the more powerful but quieter (and larger) version - at it's best, it was the loudest fan in the system, but not awful. then it got noisier, and I finally found it was badly clogged.
If you imagine a normal fan, working against a flat surface and with one side cut away, that is the layout of it - result, the fan housing clogs very easily, as all the fluff and muck is pushed to the closed sides. I could probably have cleaned it and put it back, but I'd have to repeat the performance more often than I can be bothered to.

02coled

hello
thanks guys for all the replys and does any one else have any ideas.
thanks
Damian Cole