SEVERAL HP DVD Writer Errors!

DLB

Where to start...

System Info:
MS Win 2000 SP4
Pentium 4 @ 2.6GHz
4GB Ram
32GB Free on HD
3DLabs Wildcat VP760 Graphics Card w/Win 2000 DualView Driver.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

No spyware, etc. or unknown processes running on the system (I'm sure).

OK, into the problem area. Was running an NEC DVD+/-R drive as Master (on Secondary IDE channel) and a CD-RW as Slave. The NEC started having some troubles, so I decided to upgrade it. I went with an HP PR595A (aka Model #GWA-4166B) which is a Multi-Format, dual layer, with Lightscribe. I installed the drive in the same master slot to begin with, and installed the most up to date API listed at the LightScribe Site (1.4.44.1, as seen here - bottom download link).

I also needed to update my Nero, so I did that as well to verson 6.6.0.18 (the latest, released 11/14/05, Monday).

The first thing I noticed was that I could not get Nero to regognize the drive as a Lightscribe drive. I have not burnt a label on it yet, because it recognizes it only as a DVD+/-RW, CD-R/W, etc. There is no option for Lightscribing anywhere. I need to know how I can get this thing to communicate as a LightScribe drive.

But, that is a minimal problem, as I have found more serious issues to troubleshoot.

I swapped the drives around, hoping to find relief in the registry/IDE settings picking the drive up differently, so the DVD drive is now Slave, and the CD drive is now Master. Also, upon another recommendation for help from a similar situation someone had, I made this change:

Hi, here a reply from The Netherlands in Europe. I had the same problem with Lightscribe, but I have the answer.
First you have to go to the Event Viewer. In the Application Log you see the following error of LightSrcibe Service:

Win32 Error : Function: [HurricaneClientProxy::OpenCDROMDevice] Error opening class device \\.\CDROM0 returned Win32 Error: 5 Description: Access is denied.

You can solve this problem as follows:

Choose Start > Run. Type "regedit" in the Open text box and then click OK.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

Change the valuation of 1 in 0

That's it and LightScribe will work
I didn't have the error in the App Log, but there was no difference in anything when I changed it in the reg, so I left it. That is all the changes to there.

I then found a newer more up to date LS_HSI.exe driver (version 1.4.52.1) by way of e-mail HP Tech and them pointing me back to Nero's site (which has newer drivers than their's???). So I installed it. Still no help.

OK, the more serious issue lies in this.
When I insert a disc, CD, DVD, Audio or Data (haven't tried Video DVD) - my computer will throw the following error in the event log 3 times, then my computer will reboot:

The only CD I have successfully loaded was a Video-CD, and it played the Audio track as well as the Video.

I have successfully burnt a CD on the drive as well.

I suppose we can start from there. Hope some of that makes sense.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for trying to help.

i don't have knowledge about that lightscribe stuff, but there you can find some general hints: http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?p=237875

and please attach the Nero log file here, so we can look for conflicting drivers; the Nero log file is called "NeroHistory.log" and is stored in the Nero program folder; when posting the file please delete out your Nero serial number;

Greetings from
Duracell

DLB

Here's the Nero history file saved as a text file - link should open in new window - or you can save if you desire.
http://dlb.web1000.com/NeroHistory.txt

That dates back far enough so that you can see the successful burns with the other drives.

I failed to mention that I did put the NEC drive back in after this started, and was able to read data CD's and DVD's (that wasn't any of it's errors) from it without problem - which is exactly what I can't do with the new drive. The NEC drive could also play an audio CD, just didn't have any sound, and had some various other small issues. So the cable is communicating with the motherboard just fine still and all like that.

Last edited:
Your link points to:
Sorry, but non-html files may only be downloaded if linked to directly from the site hosting them. Please scroll all the way to the bottom of this page where you will find a link to the file you are looking for.
... and the link at the bottom to a pretty irrelevant blog.

DLB

scarecrow said:
Your link points to:
Sorry, but non-html files may only be downloaded if linked to directly from the site hosting them. Please scroll all the way to the bottom of this page where you will find a link to the file you are looking for.
... and the link at the bottom to a pretty irrelevant blog.
I apologize. I haven't used that host in over a year, as they went through a total revamp of their system, and lost my old webpage, etc. They changed their policies, and I guess certain things don't work certain ways. It was fine on my end, but...

Here, this should work:
http://dlb.web1000.com/nero/NeroHistory.html
There is a link to save it there as well as a .txt file, so you should have any option you want.

Along with the attachement below. This should knock out all gremlins, I hope, so that I can move on, and figure out what is causing my problems.

Attachments

Last edited:
And now, it's junk - Web1000 are SCUM, SCUM, SCUM - every site thats ever been there gets dumped and the name pointed to something else, usually objectionable.

The price of their "free" space is high indeed, eventually stealing your incoming links for garbage as they drop your site.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's correct to use the download from the lightscribe site, in conjunction with a current version of Nero?

DLB

LTR12101B said:
I'm still trying to figure out if it's correct to use the download from the lightscribe site, in conjunction with a current version of Nero?
Wouldn't that just make the Lightscribe unrecognizable to Nero though?
I was thinking the CD/DVD-Rom part of the drive should still work with the regular drivers, but it's not.