SERIOUS Sound Problem!

A-Traveller

Hi All.

My pc was playing sounds fine but then decided it will gradually stop playing ANYTHING. At the moment, it is not even playing that annoying sound which is heard when the Windows Desktop appears upon starting, nor is it playing the annoying little 'ding' heard when the volume is adjusted from the taskbar. It goes without saying that there is no sound from any media files either.

Here is a list of events...

Sound working perfectly.

Installed the Real Audio and WMA codecs to go with my dBpowerAMP.

Tried to save a Real stream file which was on my pc into WAV format. The progress dialog box displayed fine (showing the time elapsed, etc) and the new completed WAV file appeared fine after dBpowerAMP finsihed 'recording'/converting. I tried to play this file but it didn't play. Windows Media Player also gave me an error message along the lines of "Windows Media Player did not close properly. All third party codecs have been disabled."

At this point, my Real Alternative's sound went, though all files played in Windows Media Player could be heard fine and the above-mentioned Windows sounds also could be heard fine.

I then tried to re-install the dBpowerAMP codecs but this didn't work, so I re-installed my Real Alternative player.

Now, the sound from my Windows Media Player went and the Windows sounds stopped too! No sound can be heard from ANY source!

The files play in the media players, i.e. the bar moves along and the time ticks along fine; there's just no sound.

My speakers are turned on and there is nothing 'muted' on the volume front.

Please could anyone help?!!!

I tried to find the area where the sound can be tested on the speakers, e.g L, R etc, but cannot find it! Where is it???

Thanks very much!

A-Traveller

OK, I've managed to get the pc back to the point where the usual Windows/volume button sounds AND Windows Media Player are playing again fine now.

HOWEVER, Real Alternative still cannot be heard. I have removed version 1.22 and installed 1.23, but still no sound.

Thanks for any suggestions...

A-Traveller

It's all working again now.

I don't have a clue why it worked but what I did was remove Real Alternative, install Real Player, remove Real player and then install Real Alternative again!

I had also removed WMP, and re-installed it, along with a few other things, but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem.

i have some real player links that mute the sound on playback or after playback its muted !? no ideas why !? i just live with it :)

i dont use realplayer ... to much hassle and spyware orientated :(

A-Traveller

Hi Viper.

Something similar happened here.

The volume controls of the soundcard software decided to adjust themselves!

Now I'm back to trying to convert my .ram file so that I can save it on my pc. Hope things don't mess up again! I've tried using dBpowerAMP, but the converted file won't play.

There is a thread somewhere around here where I explain how to convert real media stuff to wav using mplayer. Does it way faster than realtime, you can easily batch convert and it doesn't involve installing anything.

A-Traveller

Thanks Celtic Druid.

Yes, I have seen your method but the thing I want to convert is .ram. Is there really a way to do that other than in REAL TIME???

.rm can be converted in less than real time, but .ram is the tricky one!

The other method you mentioned (Graph Edit) won't do .ram either and works only for some .rm files and not for others.

Is there a good free program to improve the quality of poorly recorded audio files? Can these programs clean up files with most extensions or are they limited to a few only?

Thanks.

A-Traveller said:
Is there a good free program to improve the quality of poorly recorded audio files?
there is no programm to get lost quality back, not even for big money; lost means lost;

Greatings from
Duracell

A-Traveller

Hi Duracell.

OK, but is there anything that will improve the sound, e.g. reduce background noise or get rid of hiss or other things like that which may help at all?

Thanks.

A-Traveller said:
Hi Duracell.

OK, but is there anything that will improve the sound, e.g. reduce background noise or get rid of hiss or other things like that which may help at all?

Thanks.
If you mean audioediting-its possiblle,tons of stuff will come from search button :)