Seeking Notebook Purchase Reccomendations

c_wag03

Hi all,

I am looking into buying a new notebook computer. I would like to be able to capture and edit analog video on it, and burn it to DVD.

I think just about every computer maker has DVD burners available in their notebooks...but video capture capabilities is another story.

My question is does anybody know of a maker of notebooks that has an option for a built-in video capture card? I basically just want a composite or s-video input built in to the lap-top. I don't believe Gateway or Dell has anyhting like this. No idea about Mac or other makers though.

Is there anyone who makes something like this? Preferably with hardware mpeg-2 encoding?

Or are good video capture cards just not made small enough to fit into notebooks?

If not, can you reccomend a good USB or PCMIA device that will result in decent quality DVDs??

Thanks in advance for any help and/or reccomendations.

P.S.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it if it would be better suited in a different section of the forum.

Last edited:
a good laptop will come with the correct ports for video in and out connection either firewire ,usb, composite or vga/svga connections :)

just be prepared for how much you pay for what you need as laptops/notebooks for video use will cost a lot more :(

the big factor here is how much hard drive space as you can use it up quite quick making conversions etc

add to this needing a pretty good/fast processor and plenty of RAM to process the video if needed depending on how the capture is made :)

graphics capabilitys of the laptop/notebook would be dependent on if you require to use it for other purposes such as gaming or playback of video media etc ... you could cut corners with onboard graphics but these tend to be inferior to one with a dedicated graphics chip/processor as onboard usually shares system memory :)

there are a few here that use laptops with your needs :)

im sure they will add to this thread their own knowledge and comments :)

this was posted in the wrong section but i have moved it for you :)

You can get reasonably competent USB2 external capture devices, but if a laptop has an internal analog capture device, it will probably be a TV tuner option at typical inflated laptop pricing.

I would most strongly recomend using a decent desktop PC for anything, with a secondhand laptop as a carry around, since everything is expensive on a laptop, and any problems are worse - just been sorting a friends one out - PAIN, PAIN, PAIN - I would NEVER buy a "desktop replacement" laptop, they are such miserable value, and the graphics processor dates very quickly, while only the insanely expensive have a module that can be replaced (also insanely expensive).

Not sure what it would be elsewhere, but I've seen a "DVD Maker" that includes a USB2 capture unit and writing software for £30 (UK) - it's NOT a tuner.

c_wag03

Thanks for the replys so far.

My problem is that I have a Dell desktop thats like 4 years old now, but it's still a pretty good system (Pentium 4 (1.5 ghz), 256 mb Ram, etc.)....I'm just not sure how much longer it will last, so I don't know if I want to keep putting more money into it.

I could get a new desktop, but I really want a laptop to use for School and stuff...can't afford both.

So I was hoping that laptops could be pretty good for video capture and stuff. But maybe I should just buy a good video capture card for my desktop, and hope it can last a while longer. And then also get a not so expensive laptop.

Anyway, thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate it.