Secondhand Laptops, what are your standards?

I'm thinking of investing in a laptop, just a simple one to do some work (Word processing, C/Java programming, Linux fiddling, music and occasional DVD/avi video) for when a computer is not available (happens more often than you think, especially on dive trips). As a student, I don't have much money which is why I am thinking of getting a second user one.

Since I always buy computer components new I don't know much on secondhand pricing. I saw a unit recently (IBM) with P3 700MHz for £293, only catch, it has a screen problem (light areas appear due to some keys rubbing against screen). I'm not sure on whether getting this unit would be a good idea as I'm not sure how much of a problem the screen would be (though to be fais I used a laptop at a school I used to go to and that had a terrible screen)

Any thoughts/sugestions? (especially suggestions on suppliers to use (in UK))

if you wanna buy a 2nd hand laptop,ebay could be interesting for you.Just be careful not to spend too much on a used laptop.
These days,you can buy a new laptop for 900$ with a 30GB hd and an Athlon 2600XP.