Sc*wed up my XBOX

Dialtone99

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the group, so bear with me if I don't have all the terminology down pat yet.

Okay. I own an XBOX game console. In fact, I own two. I recently bought a second one for my girlfriend, which she keeps at her moms house. She stays down there a couple nights a week, when she works out of town. Obviously, we don't want to buy two copies of our favorite games at $50/pop. So I tried using my PC and Nero to copy the Crash Bandycout (sp?) game, so she could take a copy with her to her moms. Yes, I OWN THE GAME, yes, it's still AT my house, I haven't lost it. We tried the copy in our XBOX at the house, and of course it didn't work. I wasn't suprised. It told me we needed to insert a DVD adapter? What the F was that?

Anyway, so I screwed up the copy. Oh well. Here's the interesting part. Now the ORIGINAL GAME won't play either! I get the same error message!!! So now she's POed at me, and says I screwed up her game. *sigh*.

All our other games still play fine. But not the Crash Bandycout game. Not the original, not the copy.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? First, I'd like her to at least be able to play her original game (which still works in the second XBOX...but now she can't play it when she is here at home (yes, we live together). And secondly, I'd really like to find out what I did wrong, so I CAN copy the games the RIGHT way.

I have since replaced my Plextor CD-R burner with an HP 400i 8x DVD+R burner, by the way, and am using the DVD authoring software it came with.

Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated with this newbie question.

Thanks,

Dialtone
(I reiterate, I OWN my own games, but we have two XBOXes...my understanding is I am legally entitled to make copies for my own use...is that correct?)

hummmm dunno HOW you can fritz an XBOX by backing up a game !?

you have to CHIP/MOD the X-BOX to get a backup to work anyhow ?!

Dialtone99

What's that again?

Okay, I admit it, I don't know what you mean by your response.

What do you mean CHIP/MOD the XBox?
Why doesn't making an exact copy of the game disk work?
How does it know it's NOT the original disk?
What is different?
I will say I used a standard CD-R to copy to.
And why is it it won't even read the ORIGINAL disk (which I still own) in the XBOX now?

Confused,

Dialtone99

VIPER_1069 said:
hummmm dunno HOW you can fritz an XBOX by backing up a game !?

you have to CHIP/MOD the X-BOX to get a backup to work anyhow ?!

What do you mean CHIP/MOD the XBox? <> putting A micro chip in to allow it to play copied games
Why doesn't making an exact copy of the game disk work?<> see above the XBox knows its a copy the chip in essence cons the box
How does it know it's NOT the original disk? <> because U cannot copy the ID sources from the original
What is different? <> I havent a clue what exactly is different
I will say I used a standard CD-R to copy to. <> irrelevant
And why is it it won't even read the ORIGINAL disk (which I still own) in the XBOX now? <> A good question I havent a clue !!

Im a complete Noob re the X box no doubt the Xperts will explain in more detail!!

The poacher has covered most things, a modchip installed is essential to be able to play copied games.....although you can play copied discs without modding your x-box...i will not go into it here as it will be beyond your knowledge of the xbox (no offence intended). The only way an ORIGINAL xbox disc can be copied is via networking to your xbox and transfering the files to your pc, which will then have to be converted into xiso format (which btw is why an original xbox disc cannot be read/copied via a pc dvd rom or dvd burner) and burnt to dvd with any dvd burning soft. I see no reason as to why your original disc is now fubared just by trying a failed cdr in your x-box.

stevie & the guys have pretty much answered your question. You will need to have some sort of mod device installed into your Xbox in order to read backed up games. To back up the games you need to connect up the Xbox to your PC and FTP the files from Xbox to PC. Then either convert to an Xiso format or simply use the data burn method using RecordNow Max (I love that program :))

I'm still not entirely sure as to why the original Crash Bandicoot game is not loading? Puzzling :confused: I will have a read around and see if I can found out why :)

Post back if you are still unsure of anything :) I would also advise any newbie Xbox'ers to have a read up of the tutorials/FAQs over at the excellent www.xbox-scene.com :)

Quall

If you haven't gotten far in the game. Try deleting the savegames, and save files that you have no clue as to what they are (like xbl auto-updater is not needed).

That may help with the problem on why the original won't work.

As to your "what is the differense" question. Well, the original disk was printed with a private key, which tells the xbox it is an original disk. Your disk, however, was not and can never be.