S/PDIF FROM M/BOARD vs TOP SOUNDCARD

The Zone

I am attempting to rip my audio cd's so that they can be played from my hard drive. After ripping a particular track and playing the .wav using Win Media Player 9 and using the S/PDIF coaxial output from my ASUS p4p800s directly in to the digital input of my Marantz SR-7200 receiver, there is a distinct lack of quality (especially in the bottom end) compared to playing the same track directly from my Loewe Xemix dvd player using fibre optic. Given the fact that it is only a digital signal would it still be of better quality coming from say an Audigy 2 sound card which has digital outputs? Or is it there a better .wav player that I could use?

N.B.

Staff member
Hello ...

I am not sure but the quality loss might be a copy protection as well ..
Which should in case only affect the PC drive and NOT the stand alone CD player ..
Maybe it is just that simple ...

SPDIF signal is completely digital so the data is always the same no matter if you use a top class soundcard or your mother output, the difference between this two is in signal quality.

In the other hand you´re comparing a pc drive to a dedicated player that´s not fare pc drives have very poor sound quality compared to standalone players wich have been engineered to succeed in this kind of task, it is not possible but if you could set your standalone player to ripp tracks it is much probable that it would be way behind from the performance of a pc drive.

To have the best audio quality possible from your pc try ripping your audio tracks with EAC and use the slowest speed possible, it´ll take some time to ripp a cd but maybe the time is woth it.

If you´re considering to buy a soundcard for your pc and your main popouse is music listening then don´t waste your money on Creative instead get a soundcard with pro quality like the Delta Audiophile from M-Audio it cost less than some Audigy models but the sound quality is way ahead of Creative not to mention the performance, or if you´re interested in sorround and Dolby in your pc then check the Revolution 7.1 also from M-Audio.

The Zone

Thanks for your help guys I do use EAC on the highest setting. I have discovered my problem. The Asus P4p800s uses Nvidia onboard sound which unknown to me has Bass Boost option which can be selected under Master volume conrol>Options>Properties under "Playback". I enabled this option and then muted it. Suddnely my bottom end was back! This so called "Bass Boost" was amplifying some horrible low-mid frequency and just disregarding the real low frequencies. And as I have an M & K sub it sounded terrible. The sound quality of my ripped audio tracks "Compressed with Monkeys Audio" are precisley the same as the original!