Ripping device recommendation needed

Hi mates!

My old LiteOn CD-ROM ist slowly dying, so i need a new drive as main rippping device. As the time for CD-ROM drives is gone, i think it's time for a IDE DVD-ROM drive.

Quality in ripping results is prefered than ripping speed. So it should provide C2 error informations. The new device should be able to handle original Audio CDs with falsified TOC (disrespect the Red Book as copy protection :mad:) too. So it would disburden my Yamaha F1 in his tasks.

The following drives are available at locale stores, but i would consider buying online too for a drive that suffice me.

LG 8164B
LG GDR-H30N
LiteOn DH-16D2P
NEC DV5800E
Philips 5016 DH-16D2P
SAMSUNG SH-D162D
Sony DDU161510
TEAC DV-516E

Any recommendations?

Greetings from
Duracell

Is it even worth going DVD-ROM? Writers are so cheap these days.

CDRinfo don't seem to have tested DVD-ROM since 2005, but I'll look up the results for my LG 8163B (the 8164 may follow the same pattern)

... 99.7% C2 accuracy, 4th level on CDcheck test disk (better than average) but nor quite flawless on the easier ABEX test disk (some drives manages a flawless read) the LiteOn SOHD-16P9S (side by side test) fared much the same.

Neither drive could over-read leadin/leadout, and the LG managed 99 min read but not 90

Both drives handled Key2Audio & CDS200

For my own amusement, I'll also compare my old SOHC-5232 combo

Difficult ABEX test disk - miserable result, but did the easier one flawlessly, and 4th level in CDcheck.
DAE also poor, but the main reason I kept this drive in an ext case, is it was my highest EFM (sheep) drive and is also very good at erasing CD-RW media that other drives have messed up.

The Liteon could quality scan, but Liteon DVD-ROM scans are not considered to be directly comparable with DVD-RW scans.

Think im gonna get me a Samsung SH-S203B.
Two sheep, accurate stream and C2, excellent reviews but sata not ide.

Cdfreaks review here

so far, thanks mates; will have a look into your recommendations;

my LG DVD writer often fails with Audio discs, while my Yamaha rips them flawlessly; that's why i consider not to buy another DVD writer; :confused:

Master

Gold Member
If you need a good audio ripper then have a look at ebay.
An Ebay shop from Dortmund has some new Plextor 40tsi scsi for 19,95€.
The last of the last i think.

just got myself a new PIONEER 115D :D £22 to replace my liteon cdr burner which died a day ago :(

was cheaper to get a new DVD BURNER than to mess about tracking down a new cd burner :)

so i will now use my LG GSA-4120B as main ripping device; no sense to spare it, as replacements for a burner are cheap now; thanks mates for your feedback; :)