recording from digital tv

I was wondering which is the best connection to use when recording from a digital tv box.

Unfortunately there is no SPDIF connection on the box, so it looks like either the SCART socket or the standard red/white phonos. Anyone have any suggestions?

The box is NTL, does any other UK digital boxes have digital connections?

Rec. from Digital TV

Correct me if im wrong, but it is only audio you are looking to record, the phono (red and white sockets) are on teh back s you can hook it up to your pro-logic sound processor/receiver, but anyway i digress, if you nip down to your local electrical retailer and pick up a universal DVD-TV pack, it's a box with a male scart connector on the front that plugs into your digibox/cable box whatever, and a selection of female connectors on teh back for S-Video, RCA(phono), i think there is a scart through as well but im not sure.
If you are in the UK Index/Argos (can never remember) do a pack with a universal cable with a hell of a lot of different connectors, some of which i havent ever seen (and cant figure out the use for some that i have seen before) you can even make a scart to BNC (although why im not quite sure) it costs about £8 so its well worth it anyway.

Hope this helped

E

elpresidente

hmm... the easiest methode to record audio from this source is to use your chinch connectors (red, white) .. but as chickenman said only analog (stereo) ...

If u want to use your pc for recording audio then buy a converter which makes out of 2 chinch connectors , 1 headphone connector ....

the methode from dannynuff works too but u don´t need to split scart into audio and video cause you already have audio out ...

greetz

Yeah, I should have mentioned I wanted audio only. I'm looking to connect to the PC's soundcard.

It would have been nice to connect the digital box to my digital I/O daughterboard, I will just have to wait until the digital hi-fi tuners come down in price!

bode.

SPDIF input

now that you mention it, i have seen analog to digital (spdif) converters available from sony, tho i havent seen a price, id guess they would be about £50 just looking at the value of sony stuff, but you must be able to pick it up from some other manufacturer a bit cheaper, you could try maplin or CPC if you could find someone with an account there. There is another option however, with regards to digital radio, i recently saw the Psion Wavefinder (USB digital radio) for about £30, the reason i didnt buy it was i was a bit sketchy about digital reception in my area. Hope this helps.

That would be worth looking into. I've seen those PC digital radio aerials also. Don't know anything about them as regards to sound quality.

You should be able to get the national BBC stations on digital - check their site:

h!!p://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/

h!!p://www.ukdigitalradio.com/home/default.asp

E

elpresidente

i have seen analog to digital (spdif) converters available from sony
but .. what r the pros of such a converter ? U can convert analog to digital ..but the quality would be the same cause the source doesn´t change ... :)

greetz

spdif converter

the reason i mentioned it was that before i had a CDR i had a minidisc player and just happened to come across that particular item, didnt look much into it because i was really broke at the time i saw it.
nut now that you mention it, why the hell would you want one if those unless you thought the ADC on your sound card was a bit shit really.

or if you were one fly son of a bitch and had one of those new AT7 MAX seried motherboards from Abit, which doesnt have any legacy ports at all, not even PS2, which i found a bit cool... too expensive right now, just started a new job and trying to live for a month on 1 1/2 weeks wages, not a pretty picture.

Hi Danny,

Just realised you're from Northern Ireland also! How's it goin mucker :)

Just bought Psion Wavefinder from eBay.co.uk...£45. Over here you will get all the national bbc radio channels plus the crappy local commercial stations.

They are expanding the network all the time, so go ahead and buy one right now, there's quite a few on ebay - they've stopped production of the wavefinder.

all the best.