Recording from audio tapes

Hi.
I want to record some music from audio tapes, but with EAC I became clicks sometimes. I assume it is because of direct to HDD recording.
Can you advice me some program, which is able to record audio to memory only?

Defragmenting the HD before a direct to disk recording may help - or using a second HD or partition which is kept clean and/or defragged.

Some suggest that you disable write-behind caching if recording to HD, as it makes the throughput less bursty - the option is under System, Performance, File System, troubleshooting - in win9x - not sure where you'd find it in XP.

Sound recorder records to RAM, and can be persuaded above 1 minute by recording 1 minute, then copy/pasting to increase the length, then recording over it - not sure if it'll break if you end up using swapfile instead of physical RAM though, it probably won't be pretty!

Simply use EAC, and shut down you antivirus before recording. Or you can use a virtual hardware driver (e.g. Total Recorder), it will help a lot, specially if yoy have made the mistake to install a Creative soundcard.

scarecrow said:
Simply use EAC, and shut down you antivirus before recording...
...if yoy have made the mistake to install a Creative soundcard.
Sorry, bro. I don't have antivirus on. Any content going to computer is scanned before on another one.
And, I dont have Creative sound car. :-(
But I will try to create a RAM drive to record to. I'm very interested, what it will do...

I've done a lot of recording of tape to disk, and never had
the problems you mention.

Most often I use CoolEdit Pro, simply for the ease with which
I can clean out tape hiss or other noises once I'm done.

In other audio work, you can get clicks and/or crackling in
audio, particularly during recording, if audio buffer sizes
are too large for your system.

Check in your audio card settings and/or whatever program
your using to record, see if it allows for changing buffering
settings. If it does, lower it a notch or two, and those clicks
should go away. If you're using a recent model hard-drive,
just recording to that, in itself, shouldn't be causing your
problem.

domer said:
Hi.
I want to record some music from audio tapes, but with EAC I became clicks sometimes. I assume it is because of direct to HDD recording.
Can you advice me some program, which is able to record audio to memory only?
sorry my poor english .. :eek:
but if i understand you got
"EAC I became clicks sometimes"
means that the programs is clicking the sound?

if yes,i ask:
did you "over" the cpu?
when my pc was an old 200mmx,i "turbo" the cpu and got tons of clicks when was recording from line in.
then i return to normal way and the problem is gone!

;)

4 jorel:
I meant there are some clicks recorded sometimes, which are not on the tape. :)
I never over anything on my PC. I'm working with my 600MHz Cel, with 236 MB of RAM.

domer, check the temperature of the cpu.

the program to clean and rec:
two friends in another forum ask me about a program that remove the "hiss" from tapes.
i have one fantastic but don't remember the name and it's on one of my (little lots) cds.
i try to remember the name for more than a week.
....can't remember but i will find!
the prog rec to hd or memory,
remove "hiss","humm" and clicks.
removing clicks is better using wave corrector cos don't remove the treble,only the clicks.

wait a few days and i try to find in what cd are this,ok?

;)

For jorel:
Thanx, mate.
My chasis is cooled by 5 fans, and since I never "over" anything, I don't think it is cause of heat. But I will look for it, if you advise it.

Last edited: