Radeon Cards?

What is your opinions regarding the Hercules Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO Graphics Card with my current set up?

I have around £120 credit to spend at dabs.com but I'm confused with the options. Should I go for an older more powerful card or a newer lower spec card?

My current card has acceleration conflicts so I'm looking for something stable.

thanks
bode

ASUS P3V4X VIA Apollo Pro 133A (chipset) Slot-1 ATX motherboard
Pen III 733
Creative Geforce2 GTS Annihalator Pro 32MB
IBM T56A TFT Monitor
512 MB SDRAM (133)
Win 98se (upgrading soon!)
400W Power Supply

If you want to stick to around that price range then I would go for the 64Mb ABIT Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200-OTES TV Out/DVI/Dual at £122.20

A good card at a fair price plus the TV out if you need it and DVI for your TFT monitor

There are Radeon 8500 (LE and full versions)
Radeon 9500 (what?) - I think it might be a "better" version of the 9000.
Or 9000 standard or Pro at lower prices

Depends if you need the extra features like DVI and others.

I assume you want to move away from Nvidia, otherwise the Ti4200 is an option.

You aren't going to drive a top of the range card to full speed with only 733MHz - so I'd go for a cheaper card - and put the remainder toward something else - CD-Writer?

Look out for the Geforce FAQ - you may find a tip that'l fix it - apart from speed, I'm reasonably happy with my lightweight GeForce 2MX

Hey! yours is CREATIVE - new drivers out now - 41.80 - maybe that would help it!

Thanks LTR12101B for the Geforce FAQ recommendation - stroke of genius :D There are specific problems with my motherboard and the Geforce 2 cards. I was able to make 2-3 tweaks to the bios and registry. I'll see how it goes.

Merry Christmas

if the tweaks don't work here's a bit of info for ya...
basically the 9000 pro is in the same class as the gf4 mx series and if your a statistic junkie, in some area's it equals or betters a gf3 ti200....but as geoff & LTR12101B have said the gf4 ti4200 is a better card..

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-r9500-128.html

The 9500 is actually a LITE version of the 9700 - a DirectX 9 card, unlike the 9000 which is DX8 - so I'd favour the DX9 solution.

But these newer cards may also have a power drain problem, and they may also need better AGP support - a lot of new cards are 1.5v only - so the hardwired 3.3v power fix would be a no-no

If you do have dual AGP voltage support, then a "LITE" version card will probably have a better chance of working - that basically means the ATI versions in non-pro (9000 / 9500) and LE (8500) - as they SHOULD use less power.

PS. http://go.to/geforcefaq - but you found it anyway

I should have remembered - that's the redirector for for the site - I tended to go in direct and couldn't remember where it ended up!