Question about 3520A firmware...

HiBob

so I just got the 3520A......

and I was reading the post "my experience with the 3520A", then I saw that ChickenMan has the 3520_3.22_RPC+RL firmware.....

then I went to h**p://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/3520.html
and saw that there was a newer version, the 3.23

So I looked at the table below the posted firmware and saw:

I-O Data 3.22 11/03/05 1.01 1.02 1.02 1.08 1.04 1.09 1.02 1.03g Auto Auto Auto
I-O Data 3.23 18/04/05 1.01 1.02 1.02 1.09i 1.04 1.09 1.02 1.03g No Yes No

the thing that I question is the following:
why are the last three collumns different for the bitsetting? why is 3.22 auto auto auto and 3.23 No, Yes, No?
what does auto bitsetting do, what does no yes no bitsetting do?

can anyone let me know what the difference is, and what I should install?
Is this the website to get 3520A firmware from, or is there a better one?

also; I would like to know about another thing: Is +R DL media good enough yet to burn with, will the burn last around 10 years? or will they be like my CDRW's I got 7 years ago, that don't work now?

Finally, for the firmware, where can I find the flash updater?

Last edited:

HiBob

Ok, I installed the 3.23 firmware, figuring that I can go back to 3.22 if that is better......within the firmware that I downloaded, from the site listed above, I used the 323_RPC1.bin and NOT the 323_FAST.bin as I don't want burning speeds to go above what they should be, so that I make ****ty burns which won't last....

Anyways, when in Nero.....I selected DVD Copy to copy a friend's -R dvd movie.....

what should I select? ignore read errors and fast copying (what nero has for the dvd movie copying), or should I have retry read errors (1 times) and have the ignore read errors unchecked?

@ HiBob,

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks NEC Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86) to obtain the latest information on the various firmwares available for the NEC ND-3520.

Many knowledgeable individuals like Liggy, Dee-27, Quikkee, and Herrie and others frequent the CD Freaks NEC Forum and provide the latest in improved firmware that greatly enhance the NEC DVD Burner and optimize the full potential of the NEC DVD Burners. When visiting the CD Freaks NEC Forum suggest that you read the “Read First” posting for pertinent information.

Best Regards,
Coaster

If you're looking at an unprotected DVD, lets say a home movie, then I'd be inclined to retry read errors, since there should be no deliberate errors.

If it's protected, then I'd be looking at one of the guides using DVD Decrypter - I doubt that Nero would get you anywhere, though it might, if you were using an additional utility like AnyDVD.

Bitsetting AUTO, may mean that it does it anyway, useful if you have no interface to the function in software. The 3 settings are for +R9 (double layer), +R and +RW.
It seems to be common to allow or always bitset double layer, since the compatibilty is miserable without, while the rest seems to be more dependent on the maker or rebrander's attitude.

I've eventually updated to Liggy & Dee's "LD 3520 1.UC firmware Package". It has fast rip & RCP1 but also allows faster burns on some media. It now supports -R DL (when they are eventually released for sale :D) and I believe Bitsetting is adjustable for +R, +RW and +RDL (not that I ever burn any +R stuff, -R does everything for me :) )

Also, the new Nero CD/DVD Speed supporst the NEC 3520 so I wanted to burn my Ritek G05's at different speeds to see what happens to the actual quality of the burn. I found 8x is consistantly best for G05's and 6x for G04's using the above firmware.