Putting files on CD's...

xSlyPandax

Okay im being really thick here..

I copied a music CD (System of A Down - Mezmerize. Not that thats important) so i could delete it from my system to free up space and retrieve it as and when i needed it/wanted to listen to it. When i came to open it it wouldnt let me copy the files off the cd! Any ideas why? I used Nero to write the CD..

Sly

To my knowledge, this CD is not protected... at least here (Greece)... but it might be protected at your place.
If you DO own the CD, and want to make a backup, then forget Nero and use Exact Audio Copy 0.95 prebeta3 (this is the last EAC version that allows unhindered copying of copyrighted audioCD's)- now not available, because of a change at the german copyright laws.
This version is very easy to be found on the net, but before using it get sure that it does not violate any copyright laws in YOUR country- else you are doing illegal things by just using it!

xSlyPandax

Thanks scarecrow but i think you misunderstood the question lol.. im not trying to take the songs off an orginial copy of the CD, i burned my own copy of it using nero. Do i have to use EAC to take the files back off even if its only a copy?

If you wrote it as an audio CD, it's an audio CD and so would need EAC to re-rip... you put the original away somewhere, and can't find it, right?
Does it show Track01.CDA and so on?

If you wrote the files to a data CD, it's a data CD.

An audioCD made by Nero... Huh, if you made it from MP3 files downloaded from the net (I know, not the most legit way, but hell, it happens!) with a recent Nero version, chances are the CD is worthless- due to (what else?) a known Nero bug with its MP3 decoder... :p
If you did copy a pressed audioCD with Nero, can you describe the procedure you followed?

scarecrow said:
An audioCD made by Nero... Huh, if you made it from MP3 files downloaded from the net (I know, not the most legit way, but hell, it happens!)
could also be legit ... there are legit ways of getting music that can be burned to cd at the right price from the right music service :)

Yes, I know that there are also legit MP3's out there... but the fact Nero's decoder (if I'm not mistaken named mp3pro.dll- but I may be wrong...) was borked/not working, and producing wav files with nonsensical gaps/whitespace, is a well known fact. Fortunately enough I have stopped using Nero some six months after the day that I had... errr. bought it! :p (= a bit more than three and a half years ago).

xSlyPandax

What would you recommend instead? I have cdrwin on my computer, which i downloaded for help with dealing with some .CUE files. Is this an all overly better cd writer software?

xSlyPandax

Is NTI CD Freeware? I would Google it but i'm a lazy one... plus i have to go to school in 20 minutes so am only having a quick geek.