Power Calibration Error

GPz750R1

Hi, got this message when I tried to burn with my CRW-F1E. never seen this error before, wouldn't burn even at 8 speed. Even tried a few different disc's but the same error came up. I know it's not the disc's as I've been using them for a while and never had any problems with them. Also they burn ok on my DVD Burner. Any insight would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

System
AMD 2000+
512 mb Memory
running Win XP SP2
Nero 6

1. There is no XP SP2. If you mean that widely circulating beta/RC then noone can help you... it has broken lots of things (antiviruses, firewalls, burning programs, video editors, plus more), you just get what you have asked for: trouble. Or maybe there can be some help, if you address the Microsoft bug report service.
2. Nero 6 also doesn't mean a thing- which version, and is inCD included or not? better provide a Nero burning logfile (delete your serial number) so more details are in.

I agree with scarecrow SP2 (beta) is junk right now. Like come on doesn't windows suck enough to beging with why would you want to use a beta.:eek::p So you'll be better off taking it off. So I say take scarecrow's tips and you may want to take a look at woodys tips and then if you still have a problem gives us more info. :)

and get the latest firmware for your CRW-F1E;
the media characteristics are stored in the firmware in Yamaha drives;
even if the discs look like the ones you used before, they might be produced by others; so the drive don't know the new media identification;

Greetings from
Duracell

GPz750R1

Ok, thanks for the replies,
Yup I know that SP2 is only a beta, but I like to try things out. Removed SP2 but not a lot of difference, it managed to burn one CD then when I tried to do another it refused, with the same error message coming up again " Power Calibration Error"
Checked which firmware version I had, and then updated the firmware from 1.0f to 1.0g, following the instructions to the latter, still the same.
The discs are the same, they are all from the same stack, so that souldn't be a problem.
Forgot to add the version of Nero is 6.3.1.17, never had any problems with it until today.
So any other ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Power Calibration Error could be media, drive on the way out. You could have $hit left over from SP2. Other burning software not playing well with nero. Try un-install any other burning software. Then if was me and I still got the same error to rule out the drive going bad I would format and start again. But thats just me. Some times it takes less time to format then it does to fix the problem. Also like scarecrow said:
scarecrow said:
2. Nero 6 also doesn't mean a thing- which version, and is inCD included or not? better provide a Nero burning logfile (delete your serial number) so more details are in.
The file is called "NeroHistory.log". Just copy and past it in to your post.

Power calibration errors normally come out of numerous sources, but the most common is a dirty CDRW lens (do you smoke? unfortunately I do, and have to clean my lenses every six months...). The easy way to clean your CDRW lens is by using a Cd-ROM cleaning kit, but it's also the easiest way to kill it. There is another, 100% working way, but it will void your drive warranty. Is your F-1 still under warranty or not?

GPz750R1

Thanks for the advice PC-GUY, This things got me stumped, just done 3 CD's with no problems, think I can rule out other software, as the software I've got on now has been the same as I have had for the last while (with no problems).

But I'll more than likely reformat the hard drive and start again. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again to all.

GPz750R1

Hi scarecrow, not m8 it's out of warranty, I take it you mean the other method, means taking it to bits. So as I have reformated and got no-where, I've got nothing to loose, so go ahead.

Thanks
Jon

You must 1. Unmount the drive 2. Unscrew the top cover 3. Use a can of compressed air (easily and cheaply to be found at electronics' stores) and spray the CD lens from 15-20 cm for approximately ten seconds 4. NOT MOVING or touching the lens at all, else you may misalign it, and also not applying the air stream for more than 10 seconds else the chill may do damage to the (plastic) lens 5. Putting back the top cover and remounting the drive to your PC.
All equipment needed is an appropriate screwdriver and nothing else.
IMHO this is the best method to clean your CD lens (cleaning kits can be extremely dangerous for the lens health), and so far it has always worked for me on more than one dozen of drives.