Poundland (UK)

Sampling media at 4 for £1 is probably a bad idea, but I did anyway (must get round to making a test burn). If nothing else, I needed a spare 10-tub or 2

The text is a bit too JPEG-mashed, so:

1. Current media there, 8x DVD-R

The media code identifies as TYG02 - though the chance that this is genuine Taiyo Yuden is about as much as the chance of me winning the lottery.

My drive (DVR-109) even offers to overspeed it to 12x.

Now some "fake TY" actually works ok in some drives, more so if you don't overspeed it, so I need to try these at 12x and 8x - unless the drive does a try for 12x and falls back to 8x.

2. 4x DVD-R

Code is AN31 - a known low grade / budget media code, though some drive / firmware combinations can deliver astonishing results.

3. 4x DVD+R (no +R of any type in this time)

Code is 001 - aka. Media id 001 - another low grade / budget code, though possibly capable of adequate results on a drive with a good base strategy at 4x.

PS. One thing I would highly recommend in Poundland at the moment, is the 25 pack of C-Shell style cases (5x 5 colour) - these things are practically indestructible and make excellent mailers, though they need to be sellotaped closed as they don't latch, or at least not well enough. DVD double cases are 10 / £1

Attachments

POUNDLAND is a pretty good place to source a lot of stuff lately :)

10pack of PHOTO paper A4 for £1 ... they are good for quick prints or glossy certificates for the kids :p :)

they also do photo sized packs 40 pack again £1 i bought 3 packs of A4 and 2 packs of photo sized so even the kids can muck about with them and its cost me hardly anything :)

had loads of cool things from there such as MEM CARDS for playstation 1, gamecube and xbox in packs of 3 for £1 ...

had a tonne of gameboy advance accessories for the original GBA SP console such as magnifiers and lights and chargers :)

keyboard and mouse set for my DREAMCAST console..

endless RF connectors for ALL CONSOLES

usb 4 way mini hubs... to use at work for my mp3 player and stick drive and phone charger (of which the phone charger is a multi phone connector usb charger also from guess where ... poundland lol ! ) :p :)

had loads of mousemats before i got my optical as the kids tend to destroy them easy :)

hands free kits for sony ericsson mobiles ... not to use as a hands free kit but to adapt into a headhone connector for any headphones i want to use with the phone in mp3 player mode :)

i used to get dvd cases and cd cases there too but get them elsewhere cheaper now :)

they also do a range of cannon and hp black inks in there for printers and all sorts of other goodies :)

even had a few interactive cds for office tools which ive used parts of for presentations of my own at work :p :)

i look in there everytime i goto town :)

its a goldmine for loads of oddments of computer gear etc :)

the media is ideal for messing about test burning stuff before a real burn instead of un reliable re-writables :)

USB extension lead (1.8m), Extending network cable (2.5m).

Batteries, batteries, batteries - a card of 18 AA or AAA "high power" (not alkaline), but Hyundai branded, not total junk - also AA NiCD 800mAH (4 pk) - I'd stock up on these if you use them, as NiCD looks like going the same way as leaded solder.

Seriously, NiCD tends to be better in things which are a bit too rough on NiMH, as NiMH cells tend to die very easily if flattened too deeply.

Finally, 80 min CD-R, 7 disks in a 10-tub -I doubt there'd be much between them and most other "off the shelf" media.

A quick comparison - DVD
http://www.xscomputersupplies.com/acatalog/DVD_r_4x_8x_16x_speed.html

CD
http://www.xscomputersupplies.com/acatalog/copy_of_CDr_s_80_min__99_min__CDRW.html

P&P cranks up the price of media when you buy online though, but it may be better to buy 100 reasonably good disks (but what name DO you trust) than a load of odds and ends.

... I think I will sacrifice one of those 8x- at 12x overspeed on a full Nero CD/DVDspeed test, for one thing, to see if my drive really does overspeed them, and to see if the result is complete junk.

Well, tested it at 12x overspeed (it did), but:

Scan in same drive (the Pioneer 109) - PI error for that drive reports enormous (always does), on a quick scan, the PIF reported for the 6x and 8x zones were pretty good, but the 12x was poor (30-50 peak on each sample).

The transfer rate test (a quick test) also showed some breakup at the end.

The CRX320E scan is odd (that drive ALWAYS spikes at the 200MB point) - it clearly had no trouble with the 12x zone - other than a couple of rare spikes.

To sum up, I've seen worse... held to 8x speed, this media may do ok, though it is certainly not comparable to the kind of media you would get at £25 for 100 - it seems cheap at £1 for 4, and it IS cheap compared to buying low quantities by mail order, but you could do a lot better.

Attachments

02coled

hello
yeh i got a 4 to 1 usb port hub to and have tried the PC games in there and some of the blank CD-R alll seeem pretty good considering its only a quid lool
from
Damian Cole

Thought my luck was in there today...

Mitsubishi media, 1-8x +R and -R (4 pack shrinkwrap)

Now you know what I was thinking, MCC codes, wow, almost got more than one pack of each, but really glad I didn't.

The +R had a UPC/EAN13 product code of 5 391502 795804
http://www.barcodeisland.com/ean13.phtml - 539 = "made in Ireland", and while not wishin to cast any aspersions on the Irish, it's NOT a good place to find "Mitsubishi" media from.

The media code: MJC 003 - note, MJC not MCC
"Mitsubishi black diamond" - looks like it's reasonable if you have a Benq drive, but appears to be an "unknown" media to many.

DVR-109 drive offers 2.4x-4x speed

Turning to the -R now, surely I can't be unlucky twice

5 391502 795781 - oh no!

The media code: MJC ME (never heard of it!)

DVR-109 drive offers 4x speed.

The verdict: Not recommended - I'd prefer the fake TYG02, but they only seemed to have this inferior form of Mitsubishi media.