Plextor Destroys Data on CD, DVD Media (For PC-GUY)

Japanese hardware maker Plextor will release in the middle of September the PLEXERASER, a device that will help users and enterprises avoid leakage of sensitive data stored on CD/DVD media by destroying them in a few minutes.

The device looks like an ordinary PC drive and will be available in the Japanese market first, for about 25,000 yen.

The product operates as a standalone external device, which means that no PC connection is required. When a disk is inserted into the drive, its data are automatically destroyed.

Source:

Code:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17670

The PLEXERASER adopts the "PlexLaser Del" technology, which uses the laser power in order to destroy the recording layer of an optical disc (organic pigment layer), making the reading of the disc impossible. A fully recorded dual-layer DVD will be erased in six minutes. According to Plextor, the specific data destructing method is more environmental-friendly and allows easy recycling of the discs, compared to the physical destruction methods for CD/DVD media used by the optical disc industry.

The drive supports 8cm/12cm DVD±R DL/±R/±RW and CD-R/RW media. It doesn't support erasing of CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and DVD-RAM discs.

Specifications

Product: PLEXERASER PX-OE100E
Supported media: 12cm/8cm DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL, CD-R

Data destruction time:

DVD SL: 3 minutes
DVD DL: 6 minutes
CD: 3 minutes
Loading system: Tray system

Power: AC100~240V (50/60Hz)
AC adapter: DC+12 (±10%) 3A
Power consumption 17.4W
Weight: 1.7kg
Size: 167.1mm x 53mm x 253.5mm (W x H x D)
Warranty: 1 year

God and I don't want to ask on how much they want for this unneeded device.
You know I already have one thats not made by over priced lack of quality plextor.:eek::rolleyes:
I use it a lot in fact and you can find it in most $.99 stores, you know what it is?
Also it doesn't take a few minutes to work.:confused:
See in fact once again old plextor is just too slow!!!!!!:p

lol so what happens to my shredder ?

or the old hat way i still use sometimes when im cant be bothered to shred i just scratch the burn surface with a screwdriver a few times then bin it or for entertainment break it :)

the last one tends to be a little messy though :(

VIPER_1069 said:
lol so what happens to my shredder ?

or the old hat way i still use sometimes when im cant be bothered to shred i just scratch the burn surface with a screwdriver a few times then bin it or for entertainment break it :)

the last one tends to be a little messy though :(
Once you scratch it with a screwdriver (which can be gotten at any $.99 store) why do you need to break it cause you can't read it any more?:confused:

So if the PLEXERASER is more than $.99 you paid to much!!!!
But then again IMHO anything with the name plextor on it means you paid way to much. :p:D

PC-GUY said:
Once you scratch it with a screwdriver (which can be gotten at any $.99 store) why do you need to break it cause you can't read it any more?:confused:

So if the PLEXERASER is more than $.99 you paid to much!!!!
But then again IMHO anything with the name plextor on it means you paid way to much. :p:D

wheres yer fun BREAK A DVD but face it away from yer face its a tad dangerous lol :)

try microwave a disk too :)

REMEMBER KIDS DONT TRY THIS AT HOME its dangerous !!

LOL, may I ask you one question guys? Why do you need to make your CDs/DVDs unreadable??? :confused: Why ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :p

jasmin said:
LOL, may I ask you one question guys? Why do you need to make your CDs/DVDs unreadable??? :confused: Why ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :p
They happen to be disc that friends bring over that where burn on plextor and they weren't any good in the first place. :p:p:p

Yep, my desk is full of coasters made by Plexwriter Premium and PX-712A :p :p :p

LOL guys, do not burn on CDs/DVDs data that can compromise you. XXX too, PC-GUY :D :D :D

no i have always done it for security ... i often backup removable work hds containing documents and invoices etc to disks in bulk that i take home as they dont have burners in work machines as i tutor i.t it stops students burning off loads of stuff there lol :D :p :D