pioneer vs liteon

stevenwork

Just wondering i i could get some help choosing between the pioneer dvr-108
or the liteon sohw-1633! Which ever one i choose it will be mostly used for burn dvds and not cds as i have a seperate cd burner. So which of these two would be best for that type of job or if anyone recomends another type of burner let me know about it to
Cheers
Steve

stevenwork

Just been informed thatits a sohw1653s not the Sohw1633s as previous stated.... Don't know if that makes much difference

The 1653S adds 4x DL support (was 2.4x) and 12x -R support (was 8x) - this capability is also being extended to the 1633S by Liteon US firmware (BS41 withdrawn, because they forgot to activate 4x on any DL media, BS42 to come).

The Pioneer 108 is still the better drive of the two, though also the slower, with Zone-CLV 16x with a late and short 16x zone.
The Pioneer will burn media that the Liteon would instantly coaster, that's the basic fact... find the Liteon media that it likes, or patch the firmware with code swaps that are known to work, and it can make a passable burn, and region tweaking is insanely easy. The Pioneer, on the other hand, will make a good burn on good media, an acceptable burn on average media and do the best it can on junk media.

With reported examples of 8x DVD+RW and 6x DVD-RW media being spotted, you may prefer to wait for, or find, a drive which can use those - I believe the initial report had them working on the latest LG model.

Master

Gold Member
Thanks scarecrow,

and as you know, i nerver was a friend of toshiba products but we should remember that some toshi writers did a good job when it came to sd2. ;)

stevenwork

The toshiba burner does seem like a good choice but the worst part is i can't find it anywhere in australia and i've only got a budget of about $170 aust dollars {bout 100 euros} to find a burner that suits my job. At the moment i'm leaning towards the pioneer unit .... So thanks for the help guys much appreciated

Master said:
Although it looks good on paper,I would like to see a "real world" test of it's writing abilities,before recommending it.What good is it if it writes poorly,or needs premium media?Many writers fall out of favour because of picky media choices.Hopefully you have a good review of this new writer. ;)