Pioneer DVR-A05 Problems

Hi. I bought a Pioneer DVR-A05 a month ago. The drive behaves strangely with any medias other than TDK, SONY, or any famous expensive makes. It produces discs that are unreadable after the 4GB size if any othe cheap disc is inserted.

I have a lot of discs with read errors mostly AFTER the 4GB barrier. It cannot write properly the following makes: Princo 4x, Intenso 1x, Sentinel 1x, Optodisc 1x, That's Write 1x, Datatrack 1x.

It wrote perfectly the following: SONY 2x, TDK 2x.

PS: I used Nero 5.5.10.28, Record Now Max 4.5, Instant CD+DVD v6.5, Instant CD+DVD Suite v7.0. The device is secondary master without any other device present at the ame cable and is checked at 2 different systems with the same problems. I use the latest firmware v1.30 but there is no change since the v1.00 that the writer came with (I had the same problems with v1.00, v1.21, v1.30)... What should be the problem? Is it a deffective device, or it's too f***ing picky with the media?

I use win98se (FAT32). I don't burn 4GB files, but any kind of files at any size (i.e. divx files, mp3s, data, images, e.t.c.) When the size of data exceeds the 4GB size (from the 4.38GB the DVD can fit), it has read errors. And I wonder why this happens at any speed and at any media other than Sony and TDK (the only expensive makes I tested). All the others I mentioned fail, with a 10-20% success rate. ????

I DO NOT write files >4GB. They are actually less than 1,5GB each. As I said, I write many files at each DVD-R disc. And the problem is that if the total amount of tha written data exceeds the 4GB at the disc, the last files written, CANNOT be read properly by any DVD-Rom drive. That's what I mean. I'm desperate because I produced a lot of discs that have read errors at the end. Is it a laser power calibration or what? I can write 100% the expensive TDKs and SONYs, as well as Rewritable DVDs. But when it comes to write a media that is not listed by Pioneer (i.e. Intenso, SKC, Sentinel), it is most of the times produced with errors especially at the end area of the disc. If the disc has files that the TOTAL size of them is not over 4GB, I have no problems at all. What should cause

@ zenner,

I have a Pioneer DVR-105 and Sony DRU-500AX installed on a computer running Windows ME (FAT 32). I routinely burn 4.7 GB DVD Fujifilm DVD-R, Ritek G03 DVR-R, and Verbatim DVD+R with DiscJuggler v4.10.1084 and don’t have any problems (no read errors) so I believe your specific problem is not related to your Windows 98SE OS.

If I understand your problem correctly you state that when using TDK and SONY DVD-R media you do not experience any disc read errors. Is this correct? If so than it appears that your problem is DVR-R media related.

Perchance do you have the latest Pioneer DVR-105 firmware installed and using the latest versions of your DVD burning software installed?

To obtain the latest information about Pioneer DVR-105 firmware suggest visiting The Firmware Page (http://forum.firmware-flash.com/portal.php). I believe your problem could be Pioneer DVR-105 firmware related in seeing that your can successfully burn TDK and Sony DVD-R media.

Regards,
Coaster

I use the v1.30 firmware with RNM 4.5 and Nero 5.5.10.28. Same things happen even with older versions of f/w and s/w. I can only write 100% of TDKs, SONYs and RW DVDs at any system I test the DVR...

I also posted at RPC1 but still I had no luck... :(

Remove Nero 5.5x, pioneer's software does not like it at all and just use pioneer dx. It makes it harder to burn actual dvds but avoids all sorts of problems...

I believe that if it was an applications conflict, it would not write TDKs or SONYs as well. I have the original retail serial from nero from v5.5.0.3 (I bought it retail then) and I use it to the latest ones as well. I need Nero for Audio & Data when it comes to create a CD with my Yamahas installed at each of my systems.

I updated my DVR with firm v1.33 (released at 10/06/03)

I will try to install and use Pinnacle Instant CD+DVD 7.0 Suite
(Pioneer gives the VOB Instant CD+DVD 6.5). But I think I will have no success. I changed again the machine I have the DVR installed and I installed it now as a secondary slave with an ATA100 WD800JB HDD as a master. I dunno what else I can do :confused:

If you are running DLA on your pioneer drive instead of INCD you WILL have problems with Nero 5.5. As the pioneer drive prefers DLA it will attempt to install it and give you conflicts with different burning media irrelevant of what opperating system you are using. If you install your drive as a slave to a second burner DVD or otherwise the problem will be compounded. Trust me uninstall nero reinstall DLA put your pioneer drive back on cable select on the second IDE cable in IDE 0 and go back to useing pioneer dx. Pioneer dx will create cds on your yamaha burners as well.

What's DLA?

I use ASPI v4.60 1021 at one of my PCs and ASPI v4.71 at the other. Same problems.

Secondly: Pioneer gave the VOB Instant CD+DVD v6.5 and the Sonic MyDVD v4.0 bundled with the DVR. Is it ok if i uninstall Nero and then install the new one Pinnacle Instant CD+DVD 7.0 Suite instead of the older version that came with my DVR?

PS: I have CloneCD v4.2.0.2 installed as well. Is there any conflicts with it?

Thanxa a lot guys. I bought a 5pack of Verbatim 2x DVD-R media and some Dysan 1x media (Ritek G01) that are listed in the compatible media list by Pioneer. If anyone of them is produced crappy with similar results to the cheap ones, I will feed Pioneer my drive :D. If not, I will blame myself for being stupid buying and destroying more than 15 "cheap" discs that cost 2,5-3,0 Euros each!!! No one can be that stupid lol.

I have used the Verbatim 2X with excellent results.I have the Pioneer A05 too.;)

That said,using the hacked the firmware I can also write at 2X to 1X rated Princo discs(no errors).:)

I had no luck with the 4x Bulk Princos. Same s**t happened :(

Is it a sign of a deffective writer, or a media incident?

Not sure bud.:confused: The hacked firmware overrides some of the official Pioneer media tables.They are very stringent.

I'm starting to have a conclusion to this.

I can assure it is not a Software problem, or a hardware incompatibility. It probably has to do with medias OTHER than the Pioneer Certified ones mentioned there: Pioneer List

Any of the above discs I tested until now, is writen with 100% success. Any other unlisted medias have 10-20% success of being properly written. Perhaps my drive ia a too picky one. Sometimes the hardware compatibility may differ a little between the same models. So, I guess that my DVR belongs to this category. And that's why Pioneer guarantees proper writing for the listed only medias. Maybe it's a marketing trick, maybe a disc strategy / laser calibration issue. :confused: I don't know this and I'm not offered to find it anymore as I ruin much money when I have 20+ DVD-R medias that have read errors. If any of the expensive listed DVD-Rs is produced with read errors, I will immediately send my DVR for a replacement. If not, I will continue buying the certified ones, rather than experimenting, as it seems that I have no luck like others have with their DVRs :(