Pioneer DVR-109 ... 1.40 (now 1.50) firmware

Spotted in another forum
http://www.st-trade.co.jp/support/download/index.html

They are apparently a major distributor, and this firmware is believed to be genuine (NB. ONLY for the 109 OEM version, and NOT the A09 retail!).

(details)
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http://www.st-trade.co.jp/support/download/Farm/DVR109/history.html&lp=ja_en

DVD-R DL entry correspondence
Supporting the DVD-R DL new disk
(6x writing: Mitsubishi chemical media make)
DVD-R/RW light/write quality playback compatibility improvement
+ R/RW light/write quality improvement
Correcting the error at the time of CD-R entry

* As for entry to DVD-R DL media only DAO correspondence
Babblefish strikes again, but it makes a little bit of sense.

I recall someone suggesting it may resolve some of the Playstation compatibility problems.

It does work, i just done mine.
quietdrive working perfect, riplock removed (just decrypted a retail dvd @10x)

Just upgraded my 109 to A09 1.40 firmware no probs.

I must say to people hoping for drive to report as A09 , it still reports as 109.
But i believe that an A09 reports as a 109 anyway so i am told !!!!

I can post the tutorial on how to do it if required (its quite easy actually)

Screenshot........

Attachments

Last edited:
As I understand it, ALL the "XL" models report the "plain" number for software compatibility, but this is the first one where crossflash works... don't think I'll bust my warranty yet though, but a straight install of 1.40 is highly likely.

The Pioneer site (1.40) says it's DOS, but the Medion site has 1.17 as being a Windows operation.

And there's me, floppy-less for the first time ... heck, I even kept a 5 1/4" in my machine for ages - retired that only last year!
The way I know of making a boot CD, starts with making a boot floppy

Mine is only 3 weeks old :D

you can switch back to the oem 109 using the same utillity !!
so if you dont benefit from it you just switch back (warranty still intact )

But i can understand people who dont want to mess with flashing as it can render the drive useless if you get it wrong.

These drives are so cheap anyway (£45 uk), so I thought what the hell :D

Master

Gold Member
Fw 1.50 is available now

Change Log.
Support 8x +RW Media
(8x writing: RICOH)
(3.3x writing: 8x +RW Media of other than RICOH)
Support New 16x DVD-R Media
(12x writing: DAXON/MBI/RITEK/CMC)
Support New 8x DVD-R Media
(8x writing:LEADDATA/AMC/Optodisc/NANYA/Intermedia/LGE/KINGDISC/POSTECH/Must/PRINCO/NSD)
Support New +R 16x Media
(12x writing:prodisc/BeALL)
/LEADDATA/Optodisc/Philips)
DVD-R/+R DL Writability has improved.
DVD-R/+R DL Readability has improved.
DVD-R/+R Writability has improved
DVD-R/+R Readability has improved
DVD-RW/+RW Writability has improved
DVD-RW/+RW Readability has improved
CD-R/RW Writability has improved
CD-R/RW Readability has improved
Overall CD Readability has improved.

Official at:

1. Pioneer Australia - http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdwriters/dvr109/support/firmware.html

2. Pioneer Japan - http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html#firmware1
This one is identified as the "EU2"

Not yet present on the European site though.

Problems often noted with the 109 are CD-R problems, variously suggested to be worse in 1.40 / 1.50, better in these versions, a problem with some Nero versions, or a bad drive.

One comment elsewhere, no further info, suggested that there were problems with drives supplied with 1.17 firmware, that cannot be fixed by a firmware update (a bad batch?).

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSHHHHHHHHHH been using the hacked beta release for some time now ... since they released it lol ;)

works fine :)

NO its down .... waiting here to for rpc firmware for the 109 :)

i updated to a supposed rpc a while back but was jus the beta release of 1.50 :(

Has it been RPC-hacked yet?
Does it need to be ... can't DVD43 get round it?

The "known" hacks seem to be:
1. 109 to A09XL - enables quietdrive / remove riplock
2. Pioneer to Buffalo (8.50 now out) - enables bitsetting (autobitsetting) on +R as well as double layer (Pioneer only bitsets DL).

As yet, nothing that combines both of those.

Excuse my ignorance but from what I can see on rpc1.org, there appears to be no RPC1 firmware available for the Pioneer DVR-109, regardless of version.

Is that correct?

All the downloads appear to be legit firmware from various Pioneer sites.

Tried Nils' and Gradius' page.

Is the 109 not a popular drive?

Hasn't it been out long enough as yet? (3 months)

What am I missing?

toyospares said:
Excuse my ignorance but from what I can see on rpc1.org, there appears to be no RPC1 firmware available for the Pioneer DVR-109, regardless of version.

Is that correct?

All the downloads appear to be legit firmware from various Pioneer sites.

Tried Nils' and Gradius' page.

Is the 109 not a popular drive?

Hasn't it been out long enough as yet? (3 months)

What am I missing?
yes thats correct NO RPC firwmare available for this drive :(

NIL no longer makes RPC FIRMWARE he retired from making them.

gradius may make it if there is enough donations no doubt !? or if he can be bothered !?

maby try ANYDVD or another software solution to this problem :)

Like DVD43 (DVD for free)
http://forum.digital-digest.com/archive/topic/50546-1.html
Override DVD region limitations:

DVD43Free fully supports region-protected (RPC2) DVD drives (in case you have RPC-2 DVD drive) and does not require any firmware modifications. It will even work if you have used up your region counter and can no longer change the DVD drive's region. It works automatically in the background to make a DVD appear region code free and unprotected to any DVD player and DVD copy software.
There are a few other issues, so this is not always the answer, but that entire article is worth reading. A bit more detail than on the www.dvd43.com site.

The biggest advantage of DVD43 over any of the other solutions - is it's "for free".
Maybe it won't work for you, it's often described as being somewhat tempramental, but it costs nowt to try.