pioneer 106d read problems

B

black.belt

I can burn cds, movies, ps2 backup games.
The cds will play back when reinserted.
The dvds will not be recognised
I can play the ps2 games and watch the dvd movies on a standalone dvd player but my pc does nothing with them.
If I put in older dvds I have burned say 6 months ago then they seem to be recognised.
Any ideas or is my drive goosed????!!!(pioneer 106d)

No , your drive is not goosed.
Ive had that problem with a 109, it was the media.
It would detect the blank disk but once i burned a movie , it did not see it !!

A firmware upgrade fixed it.

Try different media/firmware : http://flashman.rpc1.org/Firmware/PIONEER/DVR-106D/

The 1.08 firmware is the latest for the 106d (had one myself , still the best pioneer writer to date)

Last edited:

dlcc

sorry Goose about taking so long to reply> i have had to re-register as dlcc to get a posting on this forum - dont know what went wrong-

I have upgraded it as you suggested and it is now at the latest version.
It is still unable to read the discs after I have burnt them. It can recognise them when they are empty.
I have tried some of these latest dvd-rs that I remember installing a game from and they now dont work. I am leaning towards a new drive as I think you my be right about the drive not being able to read the latest discs but I am unable to find a solution to the problem.
Any other suggestions?!!!

if it cannot re-read the same disk its not the firmware its the MEDIA :(

use better quality media such as forum favorite RITEK G05 :)

cheaper media will fail to re- read even seconds after burning :(

dlcc

discs such as dvd-rw that play on other pcs are not recognised in mine.
I will try a better disc

dlcc said:
discs such as dvd-rw that play on other pcs are not recognised in mine.
I will try a better disc

DVDRW are really only good for a few erases and burns before they degrade and are unusable :(

the recommendations are 10 uses and then its time to back up to a real dvdr :)

dlcc

thanks for the replies viper.
Can you please explain why the dvd-r movies/tv programs etc play in my stand alone dvd players and my dvds full of mp3 can also be played on my stand alone-
am confused
plus - i am going to try them on a neighbours pc. if they work their -does that mean it is the drive and not the media.
getting some ritek discs today.

dlcc said:
thanks for the replies viper.
Can you please explain why the dvd-r movies/tv programs etc play in my stand alone dvd players and my dvds full of mp3 can also be played on my stand alone-
am confused
plus - i am going to try them on a neighbours pc. if they work their -does that mean it is the drive and not the media.
getting some ritek discs today.

quite possibly :)

or again down to media :(

Sometimes they will play fine in the standalone but fail to even be seen in the computer :mad: