PIO and UDMA

Hello every body
I have SONY CRX-1611 16x/10x/40x
I want to know what is the different between PIO mode and UDMA and what should I use
I can find this option in winxp pro and I can change the seting from/to PIO/UDMA but Iam only want to know whats the better?
thanx:D

I recommend you use DMA

PIO is Programmable Input/Output , its a method of transfering data to and from the hard drive , this method is old , slow and uses the processor alot.

DMA is Direct Memory Access , its much better than PIO because it can access the memory directly with very little processor usage.

I thought burners only used PIO, but when I looked in the Device Manager, the secondary IDE channel, Device 0 uses Multi-Word DMA Mode 2. WTF is Multi-Word??

DMA is the way to go no matter how you cut it...

PIO is slo!! The Bios/System may revert to it if there is a problem in your chipset drivers or device.

Seeing PIO in your bootup screen is a sure sign that you done sumpthin wrong!!

Prob forgot to install your Via 4-in-1's or Intel DMA utility (S/B automatic wth Intel Sys w/ a modern OS on install but Sh*t happens)

UDMA is even better......

:D

alot of tech sites address DMA mode X as multi-word DMA mode X

I believe the two mean the SAME thing. Why they use "multi-word" i dunno - maybe to make it stand out from PIO Mode - *shrug*

Shadey said:
alot of tech sites address DMA mode X as multi-word DMA mode X

I believe the two mean the SAME thing. Why they use "multi-word" i dunno - maybe to make it stand out from PIO Mode - *shrug*
Maybe, but it sure is strange. At least that's what I think of it.