Pc Sound Alarm On Start Up

02coled

hello
was upgrading pc for my mate to xp pro from windows 98 installed fine and everything then stalled trying to defrag hdd so restarted and now all i get is about 10 secs of the hdd searching on the disc and then a SIREN NOISE that changes form high to lol pitch and no screen on black or nothing screen says no signal yet cpu fan goes round, the hdd light does not flicked though and and nothing seems to happen i have put the hdd in another pc and works 100% fine and am quessing it is a HARDWARE fault and that XP has strained it as the problem is the pc was strggerling to run on 64MB RAM and P3 450MHZ. Could any one help diagnosing the problem
Thanks
Damian Cole

Upgrading from W9X to 2000/XP is not an option.
Do a clean install fromn scratch, else you will encounter numerous problems.
And 64MB isn't really enough, either for XP or W2000-you will need at least 128M for 2000 and 192M for XP.

02coled

scarecrow said:
Upgrading from W9X to 2000/XP is not an option.
Do a clean install fromn scratch, else you will encounter numerous problems.
And 64MB isn't really enough, either for XP or W2000-you will need at least 128M for 2000 and 192M for XP.

The hdd works in another PC fine though and it has a hell of alot of work files on and programs so clean install i would like to go there. Andits a HARWARE FAULT i think just wondering 4 ideas on were to start and dont worry the pc it's in now is 256mb so its ok.
thanks
Damian Cole

Last edited:

02coled

scarecrow said:
Can you try another RAM module on the malfunctioning old PC?
i tried a 128mb pc100 yesterday but i didnt help but i dont know if the mobo supports it so i will get my 64mb and try 2day and get back to you im also going to try replacing p3 cpu. any other thins i coul try or is that th only real main FAULTS the warning alarm could of gone of 4

thanks
Damian

02coled

hi
i have changened cpu and cleared cmos and reseated gpu and took whole mobo out and checked all connections and looked quickly for any burnt bits on mobo or for shorting out etc and have seen none i am still to try different ram but have tried pc withoug ram in at all and still meakes ANNOYING SIREN NOISE and still no screen outputt
i will also try another VGA card
get back to you soon
Thanks
Damian

Seb

Can you describe the beeping. Is it two short beeps followed by a long beep? or is it short beeps only?

02coled

Seb said:
Can you describe the beeping. Is it two short beeps followed by a long beep? or is it short beeps only?
its a deep peep noise that changes to a low noise sort of like a emergency siren. up,down,up down in pitch and doesnt stop.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

02coled

bionic said:
On some older asus boards a siren like noise was indicative of cpu overheating.
i have changened the cpu and left to cool yet it makes no change and i dont know what make the mobo is i have looked all over for a make or serial code but there is nothing and all there is on the case to show the make or model of the pc its self is "SDK a subsidary of lucent technolgies" and nothign else what so ever
thanks
Damian

On my old machine, the siren noise was for power supply voltages outside of limits - is there a voltage monitor / hardware health function in BIOS - if the voltages are badly out, then it needs a new power supply.