ok maby all you XP users know this already but .... (re: task manager)

just discovered another way of getting TASK MANAGER up in X.P. some may already know this and some may not !? i just discovered this :)

but then again ive not been on X.P. that long :)

Anyhow... for the benefit of those NOT KNOWING ...

here goes ...

instead of the usual CTRL ALT DEL to bring up TASK MANAGER

simply right click the TASKBAR at the bottom of the screen and choose TASK MANAGER and its as simple as that :)

no messy CTRL ALT DEL pressing and can be done one handed too lol :)

anyhow if you knew this already ....then why didnt ya tell me lol :p :D

and those who did'nt know .... NOW YOU ALL DO :)

enjoy :)

yeah lol could says that i er am sorta gettin used to XP now bud just dont tell my OLD FAITHFULL 98SE thats on a redundant 3.2gb drive ;)

I set task manager to start up with windows 2K/XP and keep it all the time at the system tray, can't be more at hand and shows your current CPU usage ;)

course it helps to shorten your task bar. I have about 16 !! thingies in the tray, but haven't found a reliable aplication to discipline system tray (more than what you can do controlling startup apps)

Last edited:
ponzan said:
... haven't found a reliable aplication to discipline system tray (more than what you can do controlling startup apps)

Never tried QuickRun? (Of course, if you run WinXP you don't need it :D)

Are you frustrated with the Start Menu? Does it overflow with so many items that you can't find what you're looking for? And your System Tray... does it stretch half way across your Taskbar with so many little icons in there that your Taskbar has no more room to display buttons for open applications? Then try out QuickRun.

QuickRun makes it easier to run programs by allowing you to organize your programs into easy to use menus.

Menus of your most commonly used programs and files can be created from a bar on the Taskbar. Menus can be created for any folders on your computer, including the Desktop, My Computer, Control Panel, Favorites, My Documents, and Dial-up Networking.

QuickRun integrates seamlessly into the Windows Taskbar so it is always readily available.

The files on the menus can be arranged in any order or simply sorted alphabetically. Full Drag and Drop support is also available so that files can be easily added to each menu and moved to any location within that menu.

And the System Tray can quickly become very long and unwieldy, taking up half of your Taskbar with software icons. With QuickRun, you can take those icons and move them to a menu on the QuickRun bar. This unclutters the System Tray but leaves everything still functional and readily accessible.

Features:

Multiple Menus: Categorize your programs into easy to use menus.
Drag and Drop: Easily drag'n drop programs to any menu from the Start Menu and Desktop.
Separators: Divide related programs into groups.
Program Position: Programs can be placed into any position on a menu.
Hotkey Access: Assign a hotkey to a menu for fast keyboard access to your programs.
Hover mode: You can access a menu simply by moving the mouse pointer over icon for a second.

_http://www.partridgesoft.com/quickrun/

Attachments

Last edited:
tnx jasmin I'll try QuickRun (running Win 2K here). So far I've tried SysTrayX, PSTrayFactory and JT Tray Organizer with bad results.

For more advanced Task managing I'm using TaskInfo, but I'll check Process Explorer

later:
Did try QuickRun and it works but wasn't what I was seeking. After that I felt like trying last version of SysTrayX and now is working fine, so far. Seems I'll keep it.
I also incorporated Process Explorer, great tool, but not as an everyday replacement for TaskManager cause it uses a lot more resources.
Tnx again guys for your info bout this apps :)

Last edited:
VIPER_1069 said:
just discovered another way of getting TASK MANAGER up in X.P. some may already know this and some may not !? i just discovered this :)

but then again ive not been on X.P. that long :)

Anyhow... for the benefit of those NOT KNOWING ...

here goes ... :)
Actually, Vipes - I DIDN'T know that little trick ! And I've been on XP since virtually day one ! Clever lad ! :p

IT is actually bud lol i can do it with less fingers ;)

lol personal preference i just put this tip here as i found it by accident and easier than the old ctrl+alt+del that also gives the option of task manager in xp :)

Jerry2W2Ma

Yes it is, but...

Yes the technique is easier, lots easier, than the old 3 finger salute...
however, when I need to use task manager, is usually because system is locked up on something, and I need to kill that something now...

And the from task bar which is not responding, then it just is not working..
the 3 fingered salute usually (80%) of the time works, and after waiting for it to unstick for 10 minutes, I get tired, and in a hurry, then I know I 'can' unstick it real fast..
reach over and disconnect the power..

That of course is a last resort.... And not to be used often, for sure.

Last edited:
Jerry2W2Ma said:
however, when I need to use task manager, is usually because system is locked up on something, and I need to kill that something now...
Yeah, I know... and somehow you are right.
However, this is the way windows work, and you cannot do much about it.
Under Linux, whenever you have the graphical environment frozen (badly coded app, badly coded graphical server, or both of them...) you can always press alt+ctrl+backspace to restart the graphical environment- the core system will not be affected.
And even if the above procedure does not work, pressing alt+ctrl+F1-6 will bring you a virtual terminal to logon.
And as a last resort, if none of the above simple tricks is working, you can set and use the system magic key (usually alt+SysRq+v) to get a working console- hopefully with debugging options.
I guess all these options will be ported to Windows Vista- or not? :D

scarecrow said:
Yeah, I know... and somehow you are right.
However, this is the way windows work, and you cannot do much about it.
Under Linux, whenever you have the graphical environment frozen (badly coded app, badly coded graphical server, or both of them...) you can always press alt+ctrl+backspace to restart the graphical environment- the core system will not be affected.
And even if the above procedure does not work, pressing alt+ctrl+F1-6 will bring you a virtual terminal to logon.
And as a last resort, if none of the above simple tricks is working, you can set and use the system magic key (usually alt+SysRq+v) to get a working console- hopefully with debugging options.
I guess all these options will be ported to Windows Vista- or not? :D

in xp you can actually restart explorer although manually browsing in task manager for the explorer.exe :)

not perfect but can get you back into windows gui to carry on :)

02coled

another little trick to shut down quickly press the windows key once then "u" and then "u" again simple as and alot faster than having to click everything.