Ohio Sues AOL

<big>Ohio Sues AOL</big>
Claims deceptive billing practices

The state of Ohio files suit against AOL, claiming the company makes service cancellation too difficult, often charging users for service after they've cancelled. If you've been around the web long enough, it's likely that at one point or another you've used AOL.

It's also likely that you've gone through the process of trying to cancel AOL service, which sometimes can be as easy as solving the Middle East conflict with a soup spoon in a dark broom closet. Even after you've negotiated their queue system, rebuked the countless counter-offers from the sales rep, and confirmed cancellation, users are often still billed.

The state of Ohio has been bombarded with complaints over the past decade from users who had to jump through hoops to get their service cancelled. They've apparently now decided to do something about it, and have sued the provider for, among other things, post cancellation billing. The state is hoping for $25,000 in civil penalties for each offense; the state attorneys citing at least 250 users who were inaccurately billed, according to the Washington Post

"We strongly disagree with the complaint filed by Attorney General Petro," AOL responded in a statement. "We look forward to the opportunity to meet with the Attorney General's office to share information about the many ways members are able to cancel their service, the clear disclosures we provide in both online and offline materials, and the proactive steps the company takes."

I'm not in the state of Ohio, but I personally had that happen to me. I cancelled with AOL (after testing it for about 10mins and not liking it) and they billed me for 3mths before I even knew it..

I would never recommend them to my worst enemy..