O.K heres a pearler for you all I wish to start my own isp

What I need to know is what software to use I was thinking of using windows 2000 but some say it atractts viruses and the like to dam well.

I also wish to know know where to start looking for the correct info I have had many links but most seem to lead to home networks, and lans which is helpful but not what I'm actually after.

I want to know the setup

I know I need a domain name I got that covered but then your ip number where in pigs shoes do you get one of those If you don't go through another isp which usually alots you one I don't whish to go though another so I'm stuck faster than gum in your hair in summer

Thanks anyway all help is appriciated.

I know this board is for cdr but someone somewhere must know about these things right.

H

Houman

toxicim,

You sure need some help if you want to startup an ISP and are asking the most typical questions. Nevermind I try help as much as I can.

1. Even ISP's need an internet access through what's called a Tier1 or backbone. The type of connection you need is based on how many users you wish to provide internet access to. This is were your IP address comes from. You also get allocated a Pool of IP's to supply your customers with when they dial-in to your server for access. from these you have to decide how many will be Static and How many will be Dynamic.

2. You will need a server software to allow/disallow users dialing in and allocate IP address for those that are allowed. you talked about win2k. Forget it. Go and learn Linux as this is by far the best software around for that. You will then need to another software to keep track of How long users have been on line and how much they have downloaded for billing purposes. There is a program called 'Radiator' which will do that for you.

3. You will also need a number of Rounters for dial-in users with built-in Modems. Again depending on the number of users you are serving.

This is by far the simplest way I could explain what you need.

Good Luck!