Norton Ghost Question

Ordered a 7200rpm 40GB Hard Drive.

Can I transfer the image of my currect 5400 40GB HD to the new 7200 40GB HD using Norton Ghost without first formatting and adding partitions to the new HD? I have only used Ghost to transfer from partition to partition.

I want the same size partitions on both drives.

As you can probably see, I am trying to avoid the task of partitioning/formatting the new HD.

Your input will be welcome.

Toots

I dont think you can because your new drive isnt formated
for fat 32 or ntfs, If you have a western digital-maxtor-or
Ibm- you can go to there websites and get there utilitys
for formatting& partitioning,and its a simple matter of following there step by step instructions as to formatting and partitioning
your new hard drive, hope this helps-the utility sets you up in a couple minutes.

RE

Was afraid that was true. I can partition and format but do not like to do it. It sort of scares me. I was hoping that my dear Ghost could take care of it for me.

Thanks

Toots

Well lets see if i understand this,
are you saying that it has to be set for fat32 or ntfs
before image transfer?and that you dont have to partition it?

I would suggest using Drive Image 6.0 instead. You can hook up your new drive as primary master, the old as secondary slave, and boot with a boot diskette and run DI 6, or make a boot CD with DI on it (or d/l one made by AuYeung).

Then select copy drive / partitions from old to the new, reboot, and use the new drive with the old one in place as a data drive.

Or you could use the Maxtor MaxBlast diskette.

RE

ipdave, I am suprised to hear that Drive Image will perform a task that Ghost cannot do. Had always heard Ghost was the very best.

Can you give me a link to Au Yeung please?

Thanks

Toots

pokopiko, that's great if he happens to be copying ext3 or other new linux filesystems. but if he is only doing win* partitions, i still believe that drive image would be much less painful with the graphic interface (like mandrake installer vs redhat, for example).
:)

btw, do you know where i can find Deploy Center 5.01 ? have not found a good link, and have been looking for a month now...