New Lite on won't write

clubmaker48

New lite on (LDW-411s 4x Dual Drive) will not write DVD-R(Memorex) or CD-R (Maxell or Fuji). My PC is new, Mobo is Biostar (M7NCD-A04) processor is AMD 2500 xp Athlon. The lite on does read DVD's and CD's. The error i get when trying to write is "drive not ready". The device manager does see the dvd drive correctly. I have followed the instructions on this web page (http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=32137) and i still can't write. What can i do next to determine whether the drive is defective or not?
I'm running windows xp professional with all the updates. I also updated the firmware (FSOJ).

Last edited:
nForce busmaster drivers installed?
On my Abit NF7-S v2,I had to uninstall the nForce busmaster drivers,most of my burning programs only recognised 2 out of 4 of my readers/writers and I was producing lots of coasters..
After uninstalling those crappy ide drivers,and replacing them by windows XP native versions,all is working well...

clubmaker48

lite on won't write

Yes my drive is being detected at boot time. I have a second drive on the same cable with the dvd player its cd burner as a slave and it burns fine. Both drives show up in the boot and in device manager. The drivers im not sure about, in need to check into that. I have another pc in the house, its an asus with a AMD athlon, i will try the DVD writer there and see if i get the same results, I bought this unit from livewarehouse.com, i better create a RMA# before to long.

err did u have something like packet writing progs like incd or directcd installed?also roxio or ez cd creator? if so remove them

dx

clubmaker48 said:
Yes my drive is being detected at boot time... its an asus with a AMD athlon, i will try the DVD writer there and see if i get the same results, I bought this unit from livewarehouse.com, i better create a RMA# before to long.
If its being detected at boot time, then its most likely a driver issue.

Your Biostar M7NCD-A04 mobo is an nForce 2 mobo. As Roady already pointed out, there is a problem with the nVidia busmater drivers. The symptoms match your problems. The latest nForce drivers (version 3.13) install the SW IDE nVidia busmaster drivers unless you tell the installer not to. It's a well documented problem, that many of us nForcers have dealt with.

There is a simple way to to get rid of them though... if your interested. ;)

clubmaker48

lite on iwrtes ok now

Roady and Dx, you guys were right on about the nFORCE2 drivers. I put the DVD player in another PC with a ASUS mobo and everything worked fine. This is what forums are all about. Thanks so much for sharing your knowkedge. I was really close to shipping this player back to lite on. I wrote lite on and livewarehouse a detailed note about my problems and all i received was a very short paragraph on policy and possibly the wrong media, anyway, you guys are the experts and i did come to the right place for help. Great forum!

Are the drivers straight forward to update?

dx

clubmaker48 said:
Are the drivers straight forward to update?
Since you are using XP, try this...

Device Manager > IDE/ATA Controllers > nVidia nForce Contoller > Properties > Driver > Roll back drivers > Reboot. This should put back the "in the box" IDE drivers that came with XP... which work.

On ocassion the above does not work and gives you a blue screen on boot. So create a Windows restore point in Sytem Restore just in case.

You can uninstall the nForce drivers reboot, reinstall them... but this time say "NO" when it asks to install the SW IDE drivers.

Some peeps are having success with putting the Nero's aspi.dll in their Windows\System32\ directory and rebooting. You can find this .dll on the Nero website. Again... it only works for some.

Last of all I can point you to the "in the box" drivers, but that has to be installed manually... little tricky... try the others first. ;)

dx

UPDATE 3/31...
Or you can try these new SW IDE drivers just released by nVidia. Many nForcers (but not all) report that these drivers seem to fix the problems of old.. You can get them here... link

dx said:
UPDATE 3/31...
Or you can try these new SW IDE drivers just released by nVidia. Many nForcers (but not all) report that these drivers seem to fix the problems of old.. You can get them here... link

Not in my case..still incompatibility issues with bao under XP SP1.....perhaps it has to do with the fact that there's no hd connected to my mobo's ide channels,but only the writer that's connected to my secondary ide is recognised,and only in SPTI mode,selecting Aspi removes all my burners from bao's device list....