New Avast! 4.1 out today..

Thanks for the information guys!I just started using this antivirus based on the member's feedback.Avast just automatically updated to the new version. ;)

dx

Avast! AV simply one of the best freewares out there... period!

Started using it about a year and a half ago... and now I've converted about a dozen or so friends and family to this fine product.

It's always funny to hear them say to me... about how great this AV is, but why is it free? ... I don't get it, there must be a catch?! And I say, sometimes... just sometimes... the best things in life are free. ;)

Full list of new features & fixes straight from the Avast site :)

I think Avast is the best A/V U can get, it quick, light on resources & it has saved my ass on many occasions

Here's the list :)

Version 4.1.259
September 11, 2003

Main new features:
new Win32 EXE packers are supported: UPX, PeShield, PeProtect, AsPack
new file archive formats are supported: ACE, ARC, ZOO, BZIP2
new resident provider to protect IM programs (Windows/MSN Messenger, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, mIRC, Trillian)
new resident provider to protect P2P programs (Kazaa, KazaaLite, DirectConnect, DC++, WinMX, LimeWire, BearShare, BitTorrent)
new area to scan - AutoStart programs
integrated avast! Virus Cleaner is able to completely remove the most common virus infections from the computer
Internet Mail provider supports multiple SMTP servers now
Mail Protection Wizard supports Netscape/Mozilla version 7 and IncrediMail now
the computer can be optionally shut down when on-demain scan is finished (Enhanced User Interface only)
VRBD generation can be started/stopped manually (using the icon in the system tray)
all avast! components perform a self-check when started
Outlook/Exchange resident provider can be set to perform arbitrary (automatic) actions on the infected objects
major improvement of the Explorer Extension (ashQuick.exe program)
it is possible to send files from the Virus Chest
starting/stopping the resident providers during the runtime can be persisted (saved) now
new types of virus alerts: IM programs and printers
running scheduled sessions can be controlled now
it is possible to specify that the stored sessions will be deleted automatically after given time
it is possible to create Silent Installation packages (Enhanced User Interface only)
new page in program settings to configure the UseRAS= and AssumeAlwaysConnected= items (i.e. to set the connection options for automatic updates)

Main fixes:
fixed errors in resident protection on NT-based systems (not scanning of created/modified files, incompatibility with some defragment and backup programs, occasional crashes on Windows XP)
the program should be fully compatible with Windows 95 now (if at least IE4 is installed)
the mail scanner now works on Windows NT again and it is possible to insert user-defined notes on the virus status to messages
fixed a bug causing that files inside of archives were not scanned when the files were tested according to their extension and the archive was being unpacked to memory
the page with resident providers configuration was modified (it has two buttons now)
when scanning created/modified/opened files, Standard Shield scans files without extension as well (if the list of tested extensions contains asterisk or question sign)
improved the compatibility of the mail scanner with selected personal firewalls
fixed occasional incorrect display of iNews in Windows 9x
fixed a bug that may cause the automatic updates not to be started
the heuristic module in the mail scanner does not warn about empty message subject by default
fixed deleting the files after restart on NT-based systems
fixed the "Browse for file" dialog in report file configuration (on older operating systems)
fixed a problem in Outlook causing the messages not to be marked as read after given time (with some configurations)
fixed some problems in the option Show detailed info on performed action of the Standard Shield
fixed occasional crashes with the error Xerces Panic Error: Could not load transcoding services
the option UseRAS=1 should finally work correctly on all operating systems
fixed a bug in processing the operator if failed in virus actions
moving the infected mails to a specified folder in Outlooku works now
improved the tolerance of VRDB against the corruption of avast.int file (containing VRDB)
fixed the problems with Fast User Switching in Windows XP
Enhanced User Interface requires the password for the resident protection (if set) to un/mark the default resident task as well
boot-time scan scheduler dialog remembers the last settings now

BaNzI:D

No probs serjer :)

I would urge all 2 at least try this AV prog, it does take some effort 2 configure it correctly, but they have a real good support forum here http://www.avast.com/forum/?lang=ENG

Once U have it workin at full tilt, U wont even know it is there till it finds a virus :)

I have been tryin out AVG7 recently & did find it's mail scanner 2 be faster, but the main prog doesnt find as many threats as Avast does :)

BaNzI:D

Indeed a splendid av. The first update was to 4.1 259 and theres now version 4.1 260, so you all might want to check your versions :)

Last edited:

Laz

I noticed over at Download.com that many people using 4.1 and XP said they had all manner of problems. I have Avast! 4.1 running on 2 systems both running XP Pro and have yet to see a single glitch myself, I think it's an awesome prog myself. :cool:

So good I may even change my loyalty to F-Secure on my main system and switch to Avast! on there too. :)

Avast! 4.1 may have bad synergies with certain firewall software and/or sets of modem drivers (but this applies for ALL antivirus programs which work the "politically correct" way- that is at kernel level), but in general it works pretty fine.

@laz+scarecrow,I couldn`t agree more.I`ve tried most of the others but avast found more in the first few days of me installing it,than all the others did put together.They weren`t exactly new virii either-they must have been there for some time,nestling in my hidden _RESTORE directory!

dx

scarecrow said:
Avast! 4.1 may have bad synergies with certain firewall software...
Yeah... I had a problem with Avast! 4.1 and Kerio 3 beta 6. However, after upgrading to Kerio 4 b3... all is well. :)

scarecrow said:
Seems that you are using Windows ME, which is much better than most people think- if tuned properly- in fact I think it is much better than any 9X version.
Since ME system restore does not really work and eat HD space and resources, you could just disable it. Best solution is here:
http://defsoft.iwarp.com/ , or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=516
Scarecrow-You are only half correct.It used to be my main OS.I got it running like a dream,but it took some time and effort.(I call it Windows 98.5,now..:) )I ended up using Oppcom from http://www.beta10.com ,it solved a lot of problems.(BTW they`re also doing a version for XP but the last time I was there it was reportedly still in an unfinished unreleased state...No sign of it..) I have been running Win XP Pro as my main OS for a couple of months now,with ME and Linux running on other partitions.I kept ME on mainly because I`ve got some old hardware I`m using for which there`s no NT or 2K drivers.(It`s an old scanner...) XP Pro`s a new and exciting animal to me and I`m just starting to get to grips with it.Concerning Me again-I was using GoBack with it at one time instead of system restore.Much better...Thanks for the links anyway..Always willing to learn...:)

Last edited:

Laz

Just a little bump for this excellent prog.

Three systems running avast! Home right now all on XP Pro and no problemo. :cool:

I also install this on ALL new system builds for customers and they cannot believe how good it is and all for FREE too! :D